The Gustavus Chemistry Club became a Student Chapter of the American Chemical Society in December of 2009. Chem Club is a scholarly organization open to chemist and non-chemist alike, that provides education to the youth of the community, supports research by students, and provides educational programs to the general public by hosting weekly research orientated seminars.
- Co-Presidents: Megan Crow '14, Kacy Lorber '14, and Emma Motl '14
- Treasurer: Kelly O'Neill '15
- Secretary: Kari Roll '16
- Advisors: Jessica Imholte and Judy Helmeke
Contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Current / Upcoming Events:
- Loyola Outreach for 3rd Graders - Thursday, April 10, 2014 from 8:30am -10:30am at Gustavus
- Relay for Life - Friday night - Saturday, April 12, 2014 at 1:30am in Lund.
- Science on Saturday - Saturday, April 12, 2014 from 8:00am - 12:00pm, at Gustavus in the Alfred Nobel Hall of Science - Wallenberg Auditorium. Science experiments and demos for children grades 1 - 6. Pre-Registration by Monday, April 7 is required. You may register online at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dExZYm1JZ0VnSnZhZ1U4RkZBVEd3SXc6MA A registration fee of $5 will be charged per student and will be payable at check-in the morning of the event. (Map of the Gustavus campus)
- Lab Safety Glasses Sale - contact any Chem Club officer if you still would like to purchare a pair of lab safety glasses.
- ? other events to be determined - Feel free to send suggestions to the Chem Club.
Past events - this year
- Chem Club Meeting - Thursday, March 13 at 8:00pm in Nobel 105.
- "Super Science: Chemistry" outreach event at Mankato Children's Museum - February 22, 2014 from 10:00am - 12:00pm.
- Chem Club Meeting - Thursday, February 20 at 8:00pm in Nobel 105.
- Outreach Event for St. Peter Pre-schoolers - January 21, 2014 (morning & afternoon sessions)
- Students attended the 2nd Annual Chemistry Job Fair hosted by the MN Local Section of the ACS on Tuesday, Nov. 12. Van transportation was being arranged.
- Halloween Party - Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013.
- National Chemistry Week "Energy Now and Forever" - To be celebrated at October 14-18 at Gustavus. (officially October 20-26)
- Monday, Oct. 14 - tbd
- Tuesday, Oct. 15 - Trivia
- Wednesday, Oct. 16 - tbd
- Thursday, Oct. 17 - Meet the Profs
- Friday, Oct. 18 - Fika 10:00 in the Nobel Hall Atrium
- Chem Club Meeting - Thursday, Nov. 14 at 8:00pm in Nobel Hall, Room 105.
- Club Meeting - Thursday, Oct.10 at 8:00pm in Nobel 105 Agenda: National Chem Week, Build Scarecrow for the Sat. Oct. 12th Fall Fest contest, and t-shrt designsBowling - Monday, September 30. Meet in the parking lot west of Nobel Hall at 8:45 pm. (Monday is dollar night!)Photo-chemistry activities - Out-Reach at the Children's Museum in Mankato, MN - Saturday, September 28, 2013, 10:00am - noon.
- Involvement Fair - Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 2:00pm - 6:30pm on the Eckman Mall, Gustavus Campus - sharing information about Chem Club with interested Gustavus students.
Past events - (2012 - 2013)
- Chem Picnic - Friday, May 17, 2013 2:30 - 5:30 pm at the John's Family Courtyard
- Loyola School Children visit the Gustavus Chem Club - Thursday, May 16, 2013, noon - 2:30pm
- Science on Saturday - Saturday April 13, 2013, Nobel Hall of Science, Wallenberg Auditorium. Click here to see Photos and Poster with details..
- Relay for Life - Friday, April 19
- "Chem Day" Outreach to two St. Peter Preschool classes - Tuesday, January 22, 8:30-10:30am
- Holiday Party - December 11, 2012. Students watched the movie "Elf", played cards/games, and ate snacks.
- Chem Club Meeting - Thursday, November, 15 at 8:00pm in Nobel Hall. The meeting featured special guests Joel Vena and Taylor Hanna, Recruiters from Lab Support On Assignment, who spoke about resumes, interview techniques, and Lab Support as a great tool for finding jobs. The company is a placement agency and works with scientists to place them in labs that will be good fits for them. The company website is http://www.oalabsupport.com/oalab/home.faces
- Halloween Party - Saturday, October 27, 2012. Photos.
- Gustavus Chem Club celebrated National Chemistry Week - October 14-19, 2012. Events included:
- Sidewalk Chalking for Chemistry - Sunday, October 14 (on campus)
- Night games or Frisbee - Monday, October 15 at 6:15pm
- Chemistry-Related Trivia Night - Tuesday, October 16 (at Patrick's, 3rd Street, St. Peter) Starts at 7:00pm
- Baking - Wednesday, October 17 at the International Center Kitchen, at 6:30pm
- Meet the Profs - Thursday, Oct. 18, in Nobel Hall, Room 105 from 5:00 - 6:00pm
- Fika - Friday, October 19 in the Nobel Atrium/Lobby at10:00am
- MN ACS Chemistry Job Fair (Job Hunting Skills for Chemists) - Tuesday, October 16, St. Catherine's University, St. Paul, MN (The Chem Club will be partically sponsoring a Gustavus van to the event. Please contact Chem Club if you are interested in a ride to the event.)
- Nobel Conference - Pizza Lunch with Alumni - Wednesday, October 3, 2012
- Bowling - Monday, October 1, 2012
- Club Meeting - Thursday, September 13, 2012
- Involvement Fair - Tuesday, Sept.11
- Lab Safety Goggles Sale - price is $10, they are being sold 10:00am in the Nobel Hall Lobby/Atrium on Sept. 5-7 (and possibly Sept.10-11). New lab safety goggles have been ordered and will arrive Friday or Monday. Sign-up to purchase your pair or contact Alison Agather.
- National ACS Conference - Philadelphia, August 2012 - attending and learning about activities in other ACS student affiliate organizations nationwide.
Past events - (2011-2012)
The Gustavus Chemistry Club receives award. The Society Committee on Education has selected the Gustavus Chem Club to receive an Honorable Mention Chapter Award for its 2010-2011 activities as reported in "Gustavus Adolphus College 2010-2011". The 2010-11 award winning chapters will be recognized in the November/December issue of "in Chemistry" magazine and at the ACS Student Chapter Award Ceremony to be held at the 243rd ACS National Meeting in San Diego, CA where plaques will be presented.
- Relay for Life - Friday, April 20, 2012
- Science on Saturday - Saturday, April 14, 2012, Alfred Nobel Hall of Science on the Gustavus campus. For more details see the flyer and poster.
- Outreach for Loyola third grade students - Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 12:15-2:15 at Gustavus
- Holiday Party - Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 7:00 (in Nobel Hall 105?) Chemistry students and majors are invited to come hang out, watch a movie, make some holiday crafts and eat delicious food.
- Halloween Party - Oct. 2011
- Lab Goggle Sale - Contact Amy Tierney .
- National Chemistry Week Events - Saturday, October 15 - Friday, October 21, 2011
- Chemists in the Library - Saturday, Oct. 15, 10:00am - Noon (St. Peter Public Library) for kids grades 1-5
- Sidewalk Chalk Drawing - Sunday, Oct. 16, evening (campus)
- Chem Demos - Monday, Oct. 17, 4:30 - 5:30pm (Eckman Mall, Gustavus) Watch cool demos with dry ice and liquid nitrogen
- Chemistry-Related Trivia Night - Tuesday, Oct.18, 7:00pm - ?(Patricks)
- Meet the Profs - Thursday, Oct. 20 5:00-7:00pm (Nobel Hall, Room 105) The event is designed to create an environment for students and professors to interact. The goal is for the students to get to know their professors as people and for the professors to get to know their students in a place other than a chemistry setting. Chem Club will provide refreshments.
- Fika - Friday, Oct. 21, 10:00am (Nobel Hall Atrium)
- Chemistry Homecoming Research Symposium - Sat. Oct. 1 social/lunchtime in the tents Hollingsworth Field.
Past events (2010-2011)
- Relay for Life
- Science on Saturday - was hosted by the Gustavus Chemistry Club on Saturday, April 9, 2011 in the Nobel Hall of Science on the Gustavus Campus Over 150 1st - 6th graders from schools around the area attended and participated in hands-on experiments led by the chemistry, biology, physics and geology clubs.
- Halloween Party - (sponsored by Chem Club and Tri-Beta) Costume Contest - Sat. Oct. 30
- National Chemistry Week Events - "Behind the Scenes with Chemistry" - Sat. Oct. 16 - Fri, Oct. 22
- Chemists in the Library! - Saturday, Oct. 16, 10:00a.m. - noon for 1st - 5th graders at the St. Peter Public Library. Flyer
- Counting Candy with Chemistry - Monday, Oct. 18; 5-7pm - outside the Gustavus Cafeteria
- Root Beer Floats with TRIVIA - Wednesday, Oct. 20; 7pm - in Nobel Hall, Room 201
- Fun with Liquid Nitrogen - Thursday, Oct. 21; 6:30pm - outside the Gustavus Cafeteria
- Chemistry Treat - Friday, Oct. 22; 1:30pm - In the Nobel Hall Atrium
- Safety Glasses - fund-raiser - Oct. 15
- Alumni calling for Homecoming Symposium - Tuesday, Sept. 14
- Involvement Fair - Tuesday, Sept.14
Past events (2009-2010)
- Wine and Cheese Tasting - Sunday, May 9, 2010
- Relay for Life - Friday, May 7, 2010 in Lund Arena, 7:00pm - 7:00 am
- Chemistry Picnic - Friday, May 7, 2010 5:00 - 7:00 pm at the Interpretive Center
- Science on Saturday - Saturday, April 17, 2010, 8:15 - noon in Nobel Hall of Science on the Gustavus.
- Halloween Costume Party! - Friday, Oct. 30 5-8pm.
- National Chemistry Week Events (Sat. Oct. 17 - Fri, Oct. 23)
"Chemistry - It's Elemental!"
- Chemists in the Library! - Saturday, Oct. 17 10:00 - noon for 1st-5th graders at the St. Peter Public Library. Flyer
- Counting with Chemistry - Monday, Oct. 19 5:00 - 7:00 pm. Did you enjoy the bean lab in Gen Chem? Figure out how much candy is in the flask and win it! Tabling in lower level of Jackson Campus Center.
- Trivia - Tuesday, Oct. 20 7_00 - 9:00+ pm at Patrics
- Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream Weds., Oct. 21 7:00 - 9:00 pm (or until supplies run out) the Chem Club will be serving ice cream in the lower level of Jackson Campus Center.
- Happy Mole Day! Friday, Oct. 23 - surprise during Chem Sem 1:30 pm
- First Meeting! - Thursday, Sept. 24
Past events (2008-2009)
- Chemistry Picnic - Friday, May 8, 2009
- Wine and Cheese Party - Saturday, May 9, 2009.
- Relay for Life - Friday, April 17, 2009.
- Science on Saturday - April 4, 2009 in Nobel Hall on the Gustavus campus.
See the Mankato Free Press 4/5/09 article covering the event.
- South Elementary School Science Fair - Judging - February 14, 2009.
- Cookie Contest for Julgran (Swedish for Christmas Tree) Celebration - Weds. Dec. 3, 2008 (Chem Club wins "Best Chocolate").
- Bowling Night - Weds. Oct. 15 Bowlero Lanes, 1671 South Third Street, St. Peter.
- Halloween Party - Saturday, November 1, 2008
Past events (2007-2008)
- Picnic - Oct. 5, 2007 Gustavuas Arb - photos
- Halloween Party - Oct. 27, 2007. photos
- Bowling - Nov 12, 2007 at Bowlero Lanes
- Bowling Night - Monday, February 25, 2008, 9:00 p.m. at Bowlero Lanes, St. Peter
- Science on Saturday (April 12, 2008) 8 :15 am - noon, Nobel Hall: 1st - 6th graders observed and participated in science demonstrations and experiments hosted by the Gustavus Chem Club and led by Chemistry, Physics, Geology and Biology students.
- Relay for Life - Friday, April 18, 2008, 7:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m.
- Wine and Cheese Party (Spring 2008)
- Chemistry Picnic - Friday, May 16 at the Arb (following 3:00 Awards Ceremony at Chem Seminar in Wallenberg Auditorium.)
Past events (2006-2007)
- Chemistry Club Picnic at 7 Mile Creek Park - September 2006 - Click here to see photos
- Halloween Party - Oct. 28, 2006 Click here to see photos
- Monday Night Bowling - Nov. 6, 2006, Feb. 26, 2007
- Wine and Cheese Party - Nov. 11, 2006
- Science Fair Judging at North Intermediate School - Feb. 22, 2007
- Random Acts of Kindness Day - March 28, 2007
- SCIENCE ON SATURDAY - April 14, 2007 photos
- Relay for Life - April 20, 2007 Click here to see B
- Awards Ceremony and Picnic - May 11, 2007