Incoming/New Student Housing
*Find the Gustavus Residential Life Housing Policies here*
Welcome to Gustavus! We are excited that you will be joining us. This page is intended to provide the basic information you need to submit your housing contract and housing preference form. You should read through the Residential Life policies before completing the contract and form. THIS FORM SHOULD ONLY BE COMPLETED ONCE YOU HAVE DEPOSITED AND OFFICIALLY COMMITTED TO GUSTAVUS. We strongly suggest waiting until spring to complete the form. Your preferences may change, you may think differently about housing, etc. We use deposit date as a starting point for priority, NOT when you submit your form (as long as it's before June 1, 2014), so don't worry about taking your time!
The housing preference form is linked below. Click on the "Online Form" link. You will want to click on the "Guest" option. This will take you to the form. Fill out your basic information and then start telling us your preferences.
Some keys to completing your preference form:
1. Be HONEST! We don't know you yet - this is the best (and only) way we have of matching you with a roommate.
2. YOU should fill out the form - don't let parents, siblings or friends do it for you! You know yourself better than anyone! You may indicate a preferred roommate on the form, but the request must be mutual.
3. Recognize that life changes when you go to college. You might think you'll go to bed by midnight or that you'll keep your room clean, but all that can change when you move in and are actually in college. So answer the way you think you'll be, but keep in mind that can change - and you'll set ground-rules and healthy boundaries with your roommate right away when you arrive!
4. Keep an open mind. We have three outstanding places for first-years to live - Sohre, Pittman and Norelius. All have distinct features that make them nice places to live, but it's the PEOPLE you meet and friends you make in those halls that make the experience what it is. We try our best to give you your top choice... but your second or third choice will be just as great!
5. Submit your online housing preference form by June 1, 2014. Housing is assigned based on deposit date and availability (not by when you submit your housing form - as long as it's in by June 1). We'll get your housing assignments sent out by August 1, 204 via U.S. mail. You'll receive your roommate information at that time, as well.
Please note: Roommate requests and changes to preferences made after the June 1 deadline are not guaranteed to be fulfilled.
Transfer Student Housing
Please follow all steps listed above. You will be provided access to select upperclass residence halls for your preferences. Sophomores tend to live in North/Gibbs/Sorensen, Uhler and Rundstrom. Juniors tend to live in Uhler, Rundstrom, College View and Arbor View.
Housing Preference Form (Incoming and Transfer Students)
If you prefer to submit a PDF version of the housing preference form (to be linked soon), please complete and mail to our office or fax to 507-933-6197 by the June 1 deadline.