Incoming/New Student Housing
*Find the Gustavus Residential Life Housing Policies here*
Welcome to Gustavus! We are excited that you will be joining us. This page is intended to provide the basic information you need to submit your housing contract and housing preference form. You should read through the Residential Life handbook and all of our policies before completing the contract and form. THIS FORM SHOULD ONLY BE COMPLETED ONCE YOU HAVE DEPOSITED AND OFFICIALLY COMMITTED TO GUSTAVUS. We strongly suggest waiting until spring to complete the form. Your preferences may change, you may think differently about housing, etc. We use deposit date as a starting point for priority, NOT when you submit your form (as long as it's before June 1, 2017), so don't worry about taking your time!
The housing preference form is linked below. Click on the "Online Form" link. You will want to click on the "Guest" option. This will take you to the form. Fill out your basic information and then start telling us your preferences.
Some keys to completing your preference form:
1. Be HONEST! We don't know you yet - this is the best (and only) way we have of matching you with a roommate.
2. YOU should fill out the form - don't let parents, siblings or friends do it for you! You know yourself better than anyone! You may indicate a preferred roommate on the form, but the request must be mutual.
3. Recognize that life changes when you go to college. You might think you'll go to bed by midnight or that you'll keep your room clean, but all that can change when you move in and are actually in college. So answer the way you think you'll be, but keep in mind that can change - and you'll set ground-rules and healthy boundaries with your roommate right away when you arrive!
4. Keep an open mind. We have three outstanding places for first-years to live - Sohre, Pittman and Norelius. All have distinct features that make them nice places to live, but it's the PEOPLE you meet and friends you make in those halls that make the experience what it is. We try our best to give you your top choice... but your second or third choice will be just as great!
5. Submit your online housing preference form by June 1, 2017. Housing is assigned based on deposit date and availability (not by when you submit your housing form - as long as it's in by June 1). If you make a mistake or need to make a change on your housing form, contact Residential Life at email@example.com or 507-933-7529. Please do NOT submit multiple forms. We'll get your housing assignments and roommate information sent out by August 1, 2017 via U.S. mail.
Please note: Roommate requests and changes to preferences made after the June 1 deadline are not guaranteed to be fulfilled. If you make a mistake on the form, please do NOT fill out a new form - simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with the updated information.
Transfer Student Housing
Please follow all steps listed above. First-year mid-year transfers tend to live in Pittman, Norelius and Sohre.. Sophomores tend to live in North/Gibbs/Sorensen, Uhler, Sohre and Rundstrom. Juniors tend to live in Uhler, Rundstrom, College View and Arbor View.