IEX & Break Housing Information
The Residence Halls will be closed
- Thanksgiving Break: from 9:00 AM on Wednesday, November 25, 2015 to noon on Sunday, November 29, 2014. (See link to application below).
- Winter Break: from 9:00 AM on Tuesday, December 22, 2015 to noon on Sunday, January 3, 2016.
- Spring Break (includes Easter weekend): from 9:00 AM on Friday, March 25, 2016 to noon on Sunday, April 3, 2016.
Note: Halls remain OPEN during Fall Break and Touring Week.
Questions? Please contact the Residential Life Office x7529
- I need housing during the Break
- Am I eligible to request Break Housing?
- How do I apply?
- I am working in Mankato/St. Peter area during the break
- I am leaving the residence halls (moving out)
All residence halls will be closed during the break. Students will be housed in the Southwest Hall hostel space
- The Southwest hostel space will be the only space open during the break.
- You must fill out an application for break housing in the Residential Life Office
- The Southwest Hall Hostel space is comprised of 6- or 8- person rooms within 3-bedroom suites. You will have the ability to request roommates and suitemates on the application.
- Students that reside further than 350 miles and are unable to travel home.
- Athletes/Musicians required to remain on campus for practice/games/rehearsals/concerts.
- Students required to work for a College department
- You must have completed the application and have your supervisor’s signature.
- All students wishing to remain on campus for any portion of the break MUST fill out an application for housing.
- Students requesting to remain on campus can either complete the application linked below & turn in a hard copy OR come into the office and fill out a printed application.
- Student Athletes/Musicians: Your coach/director should make arrangements for all team/group members. Verify with your coach/director that he/she has included you on the list. You do not need to fill out an individual request to remain on campus during the break.
Break Housing Application
Applications for Spring Break Housing are due by 4:30pm on Monday, March 14, 2016. If you have questions (or would like to pick up a hard copy of the Break Housing Application) please stop in the Residential Life office, we would be happy to help!
- Students working in the St. Peter/Mankato area during the break must make off-campus housing arrangements.
- If you fail to apply before the deadline, an on-campus space will not be reserved for your use.
Students leaving the halls following fall term MUST check out with their CF. Please contact your CF to schedule a time to check out. All your belongings must be removed from your room before checking out. Your keys MUST be returned to the Residential Life Office before you leave.
Gustavus students are required to take at least two January Interim Experience (IEX) courses for credit during their time at Gustavus. Only those registered for on-campus courses automatically receive approval to remain in campus housing during January, per the College’s IEX Housing Policy.
Under the following exceptions, Residential Life may approve other students to reside on campus:
- Participation in on-campus research under the supervision of a faculty/staff member;
- Participation in theatre/dance/music rehearsals under the supervision of faculty/staff;
- Participation on an athletic team that practices or competes during January;
- Employed by a department/office and authorized to work during January for a minimum of 16 hours per week.
The Office of Residential Life communicates directly with faculty and administrators who typically require students to be on campus under the above exceptions. If you are not enrolled in a for-credit course, please make sure you are in contact with your director/conductor/supervisor/coach/etc so that they can complete the necessary paperwork for you by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015.
(Note: There is not a form students complete - all requests must come through a director/conductor/supervisor/coach/etc)
- Students who are approved to reside on campus for January will reside in their currently assigned rooms.
- Residence halls will open for January Interim Experience at noon on Sunday, Jan. 3, 2016.
- Exceptions for special circumstances may be granted on a case-by-case basis by appealing to Residential Life.
- While there is no cost to students or departments for January Interim housing, please only submit the names of students who need to be here during January.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 507-933-7529 or stop by the Res Life office!