Collegiate Fellow Selection
Thank you for taking the time to discover more information about the process to become a Collegiate Fellow! This page contains all of the information that you need to start developing your Candidate File. Please take a few moments to read through all of the information provided.
As a residential campus, Gustavus places significant emphasis on the experience of students in our residence halls. Collegiate Fellows are developers of community, assisting diverse individuals to come together to create a respectful and fun residential environment that enhances learning both in and out of the classroom.
In helping students discover identity, diversity, leadership, service, and active citizenship, Collegiate Fellows develop their own skills in communication, leadership, community building, time management, conflict resolution, event planning. These all happen side by side with fun, enthusiastic, and supportive co-workers who often become lifelong friends! CFs receive specialized training throughout their time in Residential Life, and the situations that allow CFs to apply this training are experiences that build character, while they also build resumes.
Residential Life is seeking: students who have positive attitudes and aspire to make a difference on campus individually and through the efforts of a diverse team. The CF position is both employment AND a leadership opportunity, and can be time intensive in its tasks and projects. Successful CFs work intentionally to maintain an academic focus while balancing the multiple responsibilities and priorities of the position.
Collegiate Fellows are leaders who are critically tied to our core values—Excellence, Community, Justice, Service, and Faith. It is a rewarding leadership opportunity that demands a lot, and our most successful CFs are those who find a good match with who we are and what we strive to do in Residential Life. We have created a CF selection process that allows us to find you AND you to find us. Questions? Please e-mail Melissa Shugarman at email@example.com or call the Residential Life office at x7529.
Applications must have:
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior status as of Fall 2017
- 2.50 minimum cumulative GPA and free of Academic Probation
- Free of Disciplinary Probation
Please review the position description prior to applying for the CF Position.
Click Here for the Online Collegiate Fellow Application for 2017-18
Application Deadline: February 14, 2017 at 4:30pm
To be considered as an applicant, you must fill out the online application linked above. You will NOT physically turn in any information to the Residential Life office.
The application above is for new CF applicants. If you have been a CF before and are interested in applying again, please contact Melissa Shugarman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must provide two references. One reference must be your current Collegiate Fellow and one must be a Faculty or Staff member at Gustavus.
You need to send the Collegiate Fellow Reference Form link to your references to fill out (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CF17Ref). Reference forms are due by February 20.
In the online application you are asked to answer multiple short essays (250 words or less). We have provided the prompts below for you to consider before filling out the online application form.
- Why are you intersted in the Collegiate Fellow Position?
- If someone asked you to describe your strengths, what would you say? Share your strengths and provide examples of how and when you've utilized them.
- Describe any relevant or related experiences you have had (work, volunteer, leadership positions, etc.).
- “The mission of Residential Life at Gustavus Adolphus College is to complement the academic mission of the institution by providing a living environment conducive to learning and development. The staff is committed to fostering a community in which students respect and affirm the dignity of all persons and develop the responsibility and values that will allow them to assume roles of leadership and service in society.”
How, as a CF, would you live out the Mission of Residential Life?
- For applicants who plan on being away during J-Term 2018 ONLY:
Please describe the course or activity in which you would like to participate.
How would this travel experience enrich your curricular or co-curricular experience at Gustavus?
How does that experience fit into your major/career plans?
What steps would you take to balance the increased workload your fellow CFs will have while you are gone?
January 10, 2017
Applications will be available on this page.
January & February 2017
CF Information Sessions
Monday, January 23
Tuesday, January 24
Monday, February 6
Tuesday, February 7
February 14, 2017
Applications Due by 4:30pm
March 5, 6, & 7, 2017
March 17, 2017
Candidate Notification: Candidates will receive a letter in their P.O. Box indicating their status. There are three possible letters...
If you have questions please attend one of the Information Sessions listed above! Other options include:
- Talk to your CF
- Talk to your Area Coordinator
- Contact Melissa Shugarman in the Residential Life office at x7529 or email@example.com