Residence Hall Councils
Hall Council Applications for 2016-17 Available Now!
Executive Application | Floor/Section Represenative Interest Form
What is a Hall Council?
Hall Council is a group of students who are elected by members of the residence halls to represent the community by:
- keeping the residents informed of residence hall, campus, and student senate activities and issues;
- seeking information from residents to relay to hall council and Student Senate;
- coordinating the planning and implementation of educational, social, cultural and recreational activities within the residence hall;
- assisting the Area Coordinator in matters pertaining to the physical condition of the hall;
- encouraging concern for the quality of life and community development in the residence hall.
Each Hall Council is advised by an Area Coordinator or a Community Coordinator. Each Hall Council will have a budget with which to work in order to provide events and activities in the halls, purchase supplies and equipment and to use for general hall improvements. (*Note: North, Sorensen and Gibbs Halls comprise the Complex, which will have one Hall Council. Arbor View/Chapel View/College View will be combined into one Hall Council).
Each Hall Council has five executive positions elected by the building's residents during fall elections. The executive positions are President, Vice President, Council Recorder, Publicity Coordinator, and Senator.
Additionally, each council has Floor Representatives. Floor representatvies are not elected and join by completing the Hall Council Floor Representatives Interest Form by Wednesday, September 21.
Elections will be held in mid-September. Please see the entire fall timeline HERE.
Hall Council Offices and Position Descriptions
- Schedules, plans, and conducts Hall Council meetings
- Establishes agenda with input from the council, hall, and advisor
- Maintains knowledge of Hall Council policies and procedures
- Insures all council events and decisions are within college policies
- Serves as council representative on Inter Hall Council
- Assumes responsibilities of the President if the President is absent
- Serves as Hall Council parliamentarian
- Organizes discussions and sub-committees
- Manages the Hall Council budget and keeps financial records
- Insures purchases fall within college guidelines
- Records minutes and notes during Hall Council meetings
- Distributes meeting minutes to council members
- Records and keeps a permanent file of all meeting information
- Keeps attendance records
- Organizes and coordinates publicity for events and initiatives
- Is responsible for Hall Council social media
- Reports to Hall Council all Student Senate activities relating to hall and campus
- Seeks concerns of the hall to relay to Student Senate and represents the hall’s views on issues
- Solicits feedback from floor/section related to hall council
- Provides ideas and support for Hall Council events and initiatives
- Communicates information about events to floor/section members
Executive Position Application (President, Vice President, Council Recorder, Publicity Coordinator)
Due by Wednesday, September 14 at noon
Floor/Section Representative Interest Form
Due by Wednesday, September 21 at noon
|By Wednesday, September 7||Hall Council Applications available via Residential Life website|
|Sunday, September 11||
Hall Council Information Meetings in each Residence Hall.
|Wednesday, September 14||Online applications submitted by 12:00 pm (noon)|
|Wednesday, September 14 to
Tuesday, September 20
|Hall Council Candidate Campaigning (Campaigning follows the guidelines used by Student Senate. For more information please go here and read Article IV of the Student Senate Bylaws.)|
|Wednesday, September 21||
Elections for President, Vice President, Council Recorder, and Treasurer held online via Res Life Survey Monkey ballots
Floor Represenative interest form deadline
|Thursday, September 22||Final election results posted & candidates notified|
|Sunday, September 25||
First Council Meeting (Your Hall), 6:30pm