Summer Housing Info. & Application
Are you looking to live on campus this summer? Find out here if you qualify and how to apply!
When is the application for summer housing due?
Applications are still being accepted!. Signatures are required to complete the application, so plan ahead! Also, space is limited for summer housing. Applications will be approved on a space-available basis.
Who is eligible for summer housing?
1. You must be an entering, current, or graduating Gustavus Adolphus student.
2. You meet one (or more) of the following criteria:
Conducting research at Gustavus: Please note that you are eligible to be housed on campus only during the period defined by the research grant that is sponsoring your research. Your faculty supervisor must sign your application form and provide dates.
- Enrolled for course credit at Gustavus: Your housing is approved for the period of study defined by your supervising faculty. Your faculty supervisor must sign your application form and provide dates.
- Enrolled in an internship for credit through Gustavus: Internships can be on- or off-campus. Housing is approved only for the period defined by your sponsoring faculty or internship coordinator, who must sign your summer housing application form and provide dates.
- UPDATED INFO: Priority is given to those employed on campus during the summer, but when space is available we allow current students to request housing even if they are working off-campus.
How do I sign-up for summer housing?
You must complete a Summer Housing Application Form. There are two separate forms; you must complete the one that corresponds to your reason for staying this summer.
- Summer Research: Your faculty supervisor will need to complete part of your form to help us verify your summer housing eligibility. In the past, students got this form from their faculty member. This year, you can find it online or pick up a copy of it in the Residential Life Office.
- Internships, Courses, Employment: Your supervisor(s), faculty, or internship coordinator must complete part of your form to help us verify your summer housing eligibility. Summer employees must be employed for a minimum of 20 hours a week, and must list all summer employment on their application.
For students with internships, taking course credit, or employed on campus this summer, visit the Residential Life website to download an application or stop by the Residential Life Office to pick up an application form. Please read all information carefully, including both this document AND on the application form. The application deadline is4:00pm on Friday, May 3, 2013.
Where will I live?
- End of finals - June 5*: Your current spring assignment
- June 5 - August 16: College View Apartments (four people per apartment).
- August 16 - August 24: Southwest Hostel (see below for additional information)
- August 24 - September 2: Summer students will live in their fall room assignment.
* Students living in "old" College View will need to move to their summer assignment on June 2 or June 3.
You are required to sign up for a space in each session for which you need housing. Please read the application form carefully to avoid confusion that might leave you without housing during the last two weeks of the summer before you can move into your fall room assignment.
What do I do between finals and June 5?
If you currently live in "old" College View, you will be required to move on June 2 or June 3 into your summer housing assignment. Someone from the Residential Life office will be in contact with you to setup a specific time on one of those two days.
If you do not live in "old" College View, students have the option to stay in their current room until Wednesday, June 5. Keys for assigned College View spaces will be available from 5:00pm - 9:00pm in the College View main lounge for those who have requested housing starting that day. Make sure to be ready to move as close to 5:00pm as possible, because moves to College View MUST be completed that night. Our buildings are utilized over the summer for camps and conferences so it is imperative that the move happen quickly. Even with the tight turnaround, you will be expected to remove your belongings and clean your room thoroughly, so make sure to plan ahead!!
If I don’t need housing until later in the summer, how do I get keys?
You can pick up College View keys in the Residential Life Office on the day you have requested housing on your application. If you plan to arrive after 4:45pm or any other time the Office is closed, please make sure to contact our office 1-2 days ahead of time (507-933-7529) so that keys can be prepared and we can notify Campus Safety, who will assist you in getting your room keys. If you change your plans and wish to return on a different date than you requested, we will accommodate that on a space-available basis. Please notify our office as soon as you become aware of any changes.
What will it cost?
- Option 1: All Summer (June 5 - September 2)
- Includes housing in College View from June 5 - August 16, housing in the Southwest Hostel from August 16 - 24, and housing as an early arrival in your fall assignment from August 24 - September 2. Charges are calculated at $260.00 per month/$65.00 per week and reported to student accounts approximately July 1, August 1, and September 1.
- Option 2: College View Only (June 5 - August 16)
- Charges for housing in College View are calculated at $260.00 per month/$65.00 per week and reported to student accounts approximately July 1, August 1, and September 1
- Option 3: Part of Summer (Specify dates between: June 5 - September 2)
- Charges for housing in College View/Southwest are calculated at $65.00 per week/$260.00 per month and reported to student accounts approximately July 1, August 1, and September 1. Example: Housing from June 13—July 4 would be 3 weeks ($195.00) and processed for billing about August 1.
Why do I need to move at the end of the summer?
Residential Life and Physical Plant work together to ensure that we have well-maintained facilities about which the entire community can be proud. For several years the summer repairs and deep cleaning of College View has been deferred to spare summer students the inconvenience of mid-summer moves. In order to make sure that we don’t continue to defer important maintenance of College View any longer, Custodians and the various Physical Plant staff need one week to prepare to welcome students back in the fall.
NOTE: Students living in summer housing as of August 16 will be allowed to place belongings into their fall assignments.
Where can I store my belongings while I’m staying in the Southwest Hostel in August?
We understand that moving multiple times can be inconvenient. In order to try to offset a small part of the inconvenience, you will be able to drop belongings into your fall assignment on August 16-18. Once those belongings are dropped off, you will not have access to them until August 24, at which time you will be able to move permanently into your fall room assignment.
ALL students MUST be moved out of College View by 5:00am Monday, August 19. You will be expected to return your College View AND fall assignment keys on Monday, August 19 by 10:00am. You will not be permitted to stay in your fall assignment at any time between August 19 and August 24.
What about CFs?
Residential Life hires two Collegiate Fellows for the summer. While their role does not have quite the programmatic emphasis as during the academic year, there will still be periodic social events. They are still available for emergencies and to be resources for you if you have concerns.
If you have any questions please contact Kyle Haiman in Residential Life at email@example.com or by phone at 507-933-7529.
Where can I find the application?
Feel free to pick one up at the Residential Life office or print off the appropriate application below.
Applications are due to Residential Life by 4:00pm on Friday, May 3, 2013.