Assessment Tools and Course Evaluations
Faculty at Gustavus recognize the importance and value of seeking feedback from their students, and can evaluate their students' learning in any number of ways: a locally-devised form, selected questions from the SET (Student Evaluation of Teaching) form; or a unique evaluation instrument. The Personnel Committee administers student evaluations for faculty undergoing third year, tenure, and promotion reviews.
- The Program Assessment and Development Committee works with departments to develop and implement assessment of student learning on a program-wide basis.
- Teachers Talking 2-16-2011 -- Department Plans for Assessment of Student Learning
Course Assessment: Student Assessment of Learning Gains
- The Student Assessment of Learning Gains (SALG) website is free and is designed for instructors of all disciplines who would like feedback from their students about how the course elements are helping their students to learn. It is offered as a service to the college-level teaching community. You can do the following both quickly and easily:
- Rubrics: Susan Hatfield (our assessment consultant) created a page with dozens of links to assessment rubrics, instruments, and resources. The page is loosely organized by categories.
* Modify the SALG instrument so that it fits your own course design
* Enable your students to complete this instrument on-line
* Review and download a statistical analysis of the students' responses
- Principles of good practices for assessment: DePaul University
- Additional online resources for issues related to assessing student learning:
- General Introduction to assessment of student Learning:
- A brief guide based on Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers by Thomas A. Angelo and K. Patricia Cross. 2nd ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1993.
- The Kendall Center for Engaged Learning also has several books on assessment available to faculty at the Folke-Bernadotte Library.
- Assessment related to Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Course Assessment: Student Evaluations:
- Student Evaluation of Teaching Forms (SETs):
- Gustavus Student Evaluation of Teaching (SET) Questionnaire
- Another Evaluation Form PDF or Word
- Another Evaluation Form (developed by the PADC)
- 100 SET Questions (University of Minnesota)
- Examples SETs:
- Feedback form for COM 244, Feminist Criticism (Brammer)
- Feedback form for COM 381, Contemporary Rhetoric (Brammer)
- Feedback form for ENG 247, Teaching Writing (Taylor)
- Feedback form for ENG 256, Reading and Writing Essays (Taylor)
- Feedback form for FRE 251, French Composition and Conversation (Dechery)
- Feedback form for HES 221, Drug Education and Prevention (Herman)
- Feedback form for POL 110, U.S. Government and Politics (Stenger)
- Confidentiality form for use if students are compiling evaluation results.