New Faculty Programs
Assisting new faculty in making the transition to Gustavus is one of the most important responsibilities of the Kendall Center. The New Faculty Orientation Programs provide opportunities to talk with other faculty about teaching strategies and mentoring, as well as how to navigate and connect to the Gustavus community, different College offices and programs. Events also explore ways to develop and sustain a plan of scholarly or creative endeavors as one progresses toward tenure and promotion.
Meet other faculty new to Gustavus, tour important offices (e.g. the Registrar, Academic Support and Technology Services), have conversations with returning faculty about working here, and learn more about resources available to help new faculty feel more comfortable at and knowledgeable of Gustavus.
A series of orientation sessions during the year to assist all new faculty in better transitioning into their new role at Gustavus. Sessions may focus on advising students, evaluating student learning, designing effective writing assignments, sustaining scholarship and wellbeing, study away, our unique mission, and other topics of interest to new faculty. Select Thursdays at 12:30; lunch included.
Pairs a new tenure-track faculty member (years one and two) with a senior faculty colleague during the academic year to help them get acclimated and adapt to Gustavus. Together, the mentor-mentee pair confidentially discuss issues of importance to the new faculty member, learn about the institution, better understand the history and ethics of the College, and develop collegial relationships with faculty outside of their home department.
Working at Gustavus Adolphus College
- About Gustavus Adolphus College
- Lutheran Heritage
- The Academic College Calendar
- The Book Mark Information for ordering Desk Copies, Books, Course Packs and Copyright Issue.
- Questions to ask your Department Char
- Responsibilities of Department Chairs
- Start Up Memo
- FAQ for Adjunct and Part-Time Faculty
- Parking and other Administrative Policies
- Sexual Harassment Policy and other All-College Policies
- Faculty Book (contains all policies, procedures and agreements that impact faculty
- Tenure Track Review Process
- New Faculty Resources Provost Office
Teaching and Scholary Resources:
- Faculty Professional Travel Funds
- Individual Mini-Grants
- Departmental Mini-Grants
- Course Evaluation examples
- How to Reserve Rooms for Special Class Activities