Frequently asked billing questions

Is there a charge to visit Health Service?
There is a charge for office visits with a medical provider, laboratory tests, immunizations, and/or medical supplies (including contraceptives and prepackaged pharmacy medications). These services are provided at a reasonable cost.
Visits with a nurse or the dietitian are at no charge to students.
Can my insurance company be billed?
Health Service will file insurance claims on your behalf provided we have your current insurance policy information. Students should carry a current medical insurance card to present to Health Service at the time of the office visit. Information from both the front and back of your insurance card is needed to successfully submit a claim. Information about who the policy holder is will also be collected at that time.
We are not able to bill your insurance plan for pre-packaged pharmacy medications and most contraceptives. We can provide you with a receipt for you to submit to your insurance plan or reimbursement account.
What insurance does Health Service accept?
Health Service will accept most types of insurance plans; however, we are a contracted provider with the following insurance companies: Blue Cross Blue Shield, Preferred One, Medica, MN Health Care Programs, United HealthCare and Health Partners.
If you have medical insurance from out of state, you may wish to check with your insurance plan to see if they will accept claims from Gustavus Health Service.
We are unable to bill Medicare or out of state medical assistance plans. If you are enrolled in an out of state medical assistance plan, you may choose to enroll in a Minnesota plan while you are living here.
Will a visit to Health Service be covered by my insurance plan?
You will need to call your insurance plan to find out specific benefits. Here are some questions you should ask your medical insurance carrier:


  • Does your plan require you to be seen only by a provider included in their network?
  • Are there participating providers in the St. Peter and Mankato area?
  • Does your plan include out-of-network benefits?
  • Do you need to get a “referral” from your primary clinic to be seen by a provider at another clinic?


  • Does your plan include coverage for issues that might affect college students such as mental health, eating disorders, or substance abuse?
  • Does your plan cover routine physical exams or immunizations that may be required for specific programs or internships, study abroad or other travel experiences?
Why did I get a charge on my student account when my insurance was billed?
Any amount considered patient responsibility by your insurance plan will be charged to your student account. This includes co-pays, coinsurance, deductibles, and non-covered services.
The policy holder should receive an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from your insurance plan explaining these charges – this is not a bill. Please wait to make payment until you receive a bill from Student Accounts at Gustavus. This will ensure that your payment is properly credited to your account.
Due to confidentiality laws, we only provide the Student Accounts Office with a date of service and the dollar amount to be billed. If you need a detailed receipt, please contact Health Service.
If Gustavus Health Service is not included in your insurance plan’s network, your benefits may be less than you are used to receiving when utilizing your home clinic. Check with your insurance plan to see if you need to get a referral from your primary clinic in order for your plan to pay for your visit.
Prior to graduation or withdrawal from Gustavus, any amount outstanding to insurance will be billed to your student account. Your account will be credited when payment is received from your insurance plan. If necessary, a refund check will be mailed to you.
What if I don’t have health insurance?
Gustavus Adolphus College expects all students to carry adequate health insurance during their enrollment. The College strives to offer a comprehensive health insurance plan annually. Please see the 'Student Health Insurance' page for updates on this option. Other options include:
  1. Staying on or enrolling in your parent’s health insurance (you can do this through age 26).
  2. Purchase your own coverage through a private vendor.
  3. Apply for MN medical assistance through the county in which you live.
Additionally, here are some websites that can be helpful in exploring your options:
I want to keep my visit confidential; does Health Service have to bill my health insurance?
You can pay by cash or check, or charge your student account. Some services are offered at a reduced rate for this reason. Please discuss this with the provider at your visit.
Insurance plans usually send an EOB to the policy holder, often your parents. Due to confidentially laws, it is often difficult for most people to know exactly what the payment is for. If your parent should call Health Service, we would not be able to give them specific information about your visit without your written consent.

For specific billing questions please call Compu-Med Billing Services at 1-877-848-3757