Study Away

Health Service Travel Consults

If you are planning to study or travel away, Gustavus Health Service offers appointments to discuss various pre-travel vaccinations and review any health care concerns with a medical provider.
Call Gustavus Health Service at 507-933-7630 to schedule your travel consult appointment at least 4-6 weeks before your planned departure but no earlier than 6 months before the start of your program.
This will allow appropriate timing for needed vaccinations. Some countries like Japan and Malaysia require a chest x-ray for the student visa, which requires a referral. If your plans include a visa for a country that requires a chest x-ray, you should schedule your appointment as soon as possible to allow time for the chest x-ray.


Bring the following to your appointment:
  • All of your immunization records
  • Your itinerary and activities
  • A list of your current prescription medications and over the counter medications
  • Completed Health Preparation and Disclosure form from Gustavus (please find this on your account) and any necessary health forms from your destination program provider (i.e., CIEE, IES, SIT, IFSA-Butler, etc.)

Please have all program forms completed PRIOR to your appointment.

Go to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website for information/requirements for your planned destination(s) at Educate yourself about possible health concerns and alerts specific to your travel plans.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will my insurance cover my visit?

Have you had a physical within the past 12 months? If the answer is no, then most insurance companies will cover a physical 100%. It is important to ask for a physical exam when scheduling your appointment so the appropriate amount of time can be scheduled.

If you have had a physical within the past 12 months then you will need to make an appointment for a travel consult. Insurance companies will only pay for a physical exam once per year.

If you are unsure if you have had a physical in the past 12 months, you can contact your insurance company with the customer service number that is provided on the back of your insurance card to ask. 

Will I need any shots?

Immunizations will be reviewed for all students presenting for a travel consult. Some students need general vaccinations updated, other students will need specific vaccines for the country or region of the world to which they are traveling. Some vaccines are administered via a needle, others are available orally.

I take a regular prescription. Can I take that abroad with me?

In many cases, you will have no trouble taking your prescription medication abroad, but you should check with CICE. Some types of medication may be illegal in the country in which you will study. CICE can check to see if you are allowed to enter your host country with your prescription medication and if there are any restrictions on quantity. Whenever you travel with medication, it is very important that you always keep the medication in its original packaging and that you keep the prescription information from the pharmacy (this is often a label affixed to the medication). 

I’m going to Western Europe and have traveled there before OR I’m an international student in the U.S. already and I’m preparing to study away. Do I really need a travel consult?

Yes, whatever your destination and wherever you are from, a travel consult is important to prepare you to manage your health away from home and campus. In some cases, your health or prescriptions may have changed, or you may need to consider how you will obtain your prescriptions during a longer stay abroad. Some vaccinations that are typically not necessary for a short stay in a county may be recommended for longer stays. No two countries are exactly alike, so even if you are already an international student or a student who has been abroad before, you will need to prepare for your host country. A travel consult will help you to stay healthy abroad, even when going to a location that is more familiar to you, so you can get the most out of your experience.

Don’t wait until it is too late! Call 507-933-7630 to schedule your visit!

Useful Links

Center for International and Cultural Education (CICE)

US CDC Travel Health Home

US Department of State Travel Warnings and Consular Information

WHO (World Health Organization) International Travel and Health