Remaining Engaged in All Things Global

Center for International and Cultural Education

Global learning is not a one-time-only experience. Studying away or studying in the U.S. as an international student is an excellent step, but global learning is a lifetime pursuit, and there are many ways to continue your global learning after your unique study experience ends.

Stay globally engaged here on campus.
There are lots of opportunities described in our Get Involved section.

Go again: add another, unique experience before your graduate.
So you have studied away once or are an international student studying here at Gustavus. Why not further enhance your global learning – dramatically – by studying away again? There are lots of unique opportunities, and some of these might make amazing second experiences:

  • Intern abroad! You can pursue internships through a variety of Gustavus-sponsored programs.
  • Intern in the U.S. or Canada. You have options in Washington, DC, and certain other major cities.
  • Research: Consider opting for a program that allows you to complete intensive research. This can be especially great for grad school-bound students. Options include SITSFS, EuroScholars, and the IFSA Sri Lanka program.
  • Go for a fully-funded summer language program.
  • Slow down the pace and immerse yourself in deep contemplation about the nature of human existence and our relationship to the world around us in the Oregon Extension program.
  • Try a Twin Cities semester with HECUA.

Consider international fellowships for after graduation.
Another option is to think about international fellowship programs that fund a year or two of post-bachelor's study, internship, assistant English teaching, or other activities. You will work with the Fellowships Office, and opportunities are described in their webpage and here in the CICE site. (International students might also look here.)

Intern at United International College in China.
Gusties are among a small number of college graduates invited to apply for the UIC Internship program. The program is a paid, one-year internship at United International College in Zhuhai, China. This is an excellent way to build your resume while gaining global experience! Open to all nationalities that are eligible for Chinese visas. Applications usually open in November and close in February, though jobs are filled on a rolling basis as soon as applications open. Contact the CICE Director for details.

Consider earning a master's degree abroad.
Why not pursue your master's degree in another country? Such an accomplishment sets you apart from other job candidates and can give you the credential to work in the country where you study (as well as the U.S.). If you plan to earn a doctoral degree, though, check with programs of interest that the other country's credential will be accepted (unless you are willing to earn two master's degrees en route to the doctoral degree). You can search for international graduate programs here. Also, if you are a U.S. student or permanent resident, you may be able to use your U.S. financial aid while you enroll in an international university. In the FAFSA school code search page, list your university's name, and pick "Foreign Country" in the drop-down menu for State. If a code comes up, you can get U.S.-based student loans to study there.