Mayo Innovation Scholars
The Mayo Innovation Scholars Program is an innovative experiential learning opportunity for students at participating private colleges and universities in Minnesota. Students are provided with first-hand research and marketability analysis experience with leading Mayo inventors and researchers. Students work in teams of four, with at least one science major and one business major on each team, to complete research projects that ultimately assist Mayo Clinic Ventures in the assessment of ideas for new products submitted by Mayo Clinic researchers.
The Program is a collaborative venture of Mayo Clinic Ventures, The Minnesota Private College Consortium, and The Medtronic Foundation. For additional information, please see www.mnprivatecolleges.org/members/mayo-innovation-scholars
Interested juniors and seniors majoring in the sciences, nursing, or business areas may apply for an internship with the Mayo Innovation Scholars Program.
- Junior (16 credits) or senior academic status
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher
- Science, Nursing, or Economics/Management major
- Acceptance of the terms of the Gustavus Honor Code
- Students who are on any type of Gustavus Adolphus College probation shall not be eligible for a Mayo Innovation Scholars Program Internship
- Last week of October - Mandatory Orientation Meeting at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota
- November - Start assigned research project
- January - Work intensively on research project
- February - Conclude work
- Early to Mid March - Conference Presentation at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester
Gustavus MISP Interns are expected to register for either an Interim Career Exploration or a Spring Semester Internship.
Gustavus MISP Interns will receive a $1000 stipend upon completion of the internship, and will be reimbursed for the cost of required travel to Rochester.
Applicants should upload the following four documents through Handshake (https://gustavus.joinhandshake.com/) by Friday, September 30, 2016.
2. Cover letter addressed to:
Mr. John Meslow, Program Coordinator
Mayo Innovation Scholars Program
c/o Janine Knutson, Career Development
Gustavus Adolphus College
800 West College Avenue
St. Peter, MN 56082
Applicants must address the following in their cover letters:
- Why you are interested in this opportunity
- What you hope to gain through this experience
- Previous experience you have in problem solving in a team setting
- What makes you a strong candidate
3. Signed Certification of Eligibility Form
4. Name and contact information of ONE academic reference (Gustavus faculty - name, department, email, and phone number)
After all application materials are reviewed, selected students will be invited to half-hour screening interviews.
Updated 7/26/16 JK