2016-2017 Merit-Based Scholarships
Qualified students who have been admitted to Gustavus will be automatically considered for certain renewable merit-based scholarships and notified of any awards within three weeks of receiving their offer of admission, beginning January 1.
Scholarships that require a separate application before consideration are noted below. Students are eligible to receive either the President's Scholarship or the Dean's Scholarship plus any other earned scholarships. All scholarships are renewable for four years if the specific requirements listed (if any) are met.
By applying for admission, all students will be considered for the following scholarships and awarded if they qualify.
- Dean's Scholarship*
- Based on information provided in the Application for Admission, awards ranging from $13,000-$23,000 annually ($52,000-$92,000 over four years) recognize students who show significant academic achievement, service, or leadership in their high schools, churches, and communities.
- President's Scholarship*
- Awards of up to $26,000 annually represent the College's financial commitment to academic excellence, one of our five core values. Through a nomination and interview process, potential recipients will be reviewed for their previous accomplishments and potential for future success. Past recipients of these highly selective awards enrolled in the most academically challenging courses offered, ranked near the top of their graduating class, and typically earned a composite score of 30 on the ACT or 1320 on the SAT. Submission of test scores is required for consideration. Awards are renewable with a 3.25 cumulative GPA. International applicants are not eligible for the President's scholarship. Please visit the International admission page for information about available financial aid.
- *The Dean's and President's Scholarships are the only scholarships that are exclusive to each other. A student may receive either the Dean's or President's Scholarship, but not both. All other scholarships may be stacked on top of a Dean's or President's Scholarship.
- National Merit College-Sponsored Scholarship
- Winners in the National Merit Scholarship competition who designate Gustavus as their first-choice college will receive a renewable scholarship of $7,500. Additionally, finalists can receive a President's or Dean's Scholarship for a maximum potential merit-based award of $33,500 (or $134,000 over four years) and three National Merit finalists will receive a Full Tuition Scholarship. Any other Gustavus scholarships earned will be honorary (awarded in name but not financially). Students may also receive need-based aid if eligible.
- Gustavus Legacy Award
- Gustavus Legacy Awards of $2,500 annually ($10,000 over four years) are given to students whose siblings are current Gustavus students or graduates, or whose parents or grandparents are Gustavus alumni.
- Diversity Scholarship
- Paul L. Rucker Scholarships, ranging from $1,000-$5,000 annually ($4,000-$20,000 over four years), are granted to students who bring diversity to campus. Ethnicity is one of several factors considered but is not an exclusive condition of eligibility.
- Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship
- Members of Phi Theta Kappa enrolling from a community college may be considered for scholarships of $2,500 annually. A minimum of 42 quarter credits or 28 semester hours and an earned college grade point average of 3.5 are required. This award is renewable with a 3.25 Gustavus cumulative grade point average.
To be considered for the following scholarships, Early Action applicants must complete their admission and scholarship applications by November 1, 2016. Rolling Admission applicants must complete applications by January 3, 2017 (unless noted differently below). Finalists for the fine arts and speech scholarships will be notified and invited to campus to compete for an award.
- Music Scholarship
- Jussi Bjorling Music Scholarships, ranging from $2,000-$8,000 annually ($8,000-$32,000 over four years), support students continuing their participation in music at Gustavus. Although scholarships are available to students of any major, all winners are required to participate in a performing ensemble. The Music department has more detailed information about music scholarships. **Please note: You may apply for the Jussi Bjorling Music Scholarship in multiple performance areas -- for example, you may send one application for voice and another for piano. Separate application forms, recommendation letters, and resumes must be completed for each performance area.**
- Apply online for the Jussi Bjorling Music Scholarship. Please contact Alan Meier (email@example.com or 507 933 7682) in the Gustavus Admission Office with questions about the Bjorling Music Scholarship.
- Theatre and Dance Scholarship
- Evelyn Anderson Theatre and Dance Scholarships, ranging from $500-$6,000 annually ($2,000-$24,000 over four years), are awarded to candidates who have demonstrated talent and commitment to pursuing theatre and/or dance regardless of their intended major. Winners are required to participate in the department through coursework and/or involvement in productions or ensembles.
- Apply online for the Anderson Theatre and Dance Scholarship. Please contact Jasmine Porter (firstname.lastname@example.org or 507 933 7685) or Maggie Sotos (email@example.com or 507 933 7004) in the Gustavus Admission Office with questions about the Anderson Theatre and Dance Scholarship.
- Art Scholarship
- Gustavus Art Scholarships, ranging from $500-$2,000 annually ($2,000-$8,000 over four years), recognize students who have demonstrated talent and commitment to studying the visual arts regardless of their intended major.
- Apply online for the Gustavus Art Scholarship. Please contact Kate Mathison (firstname.lastname@example.org or 507 933 7677) in the Gustavus Admission Office with questions about the Art Scholarship.
- Speech Scholarship
- Gustavus Speech Scholarships, ranging from $1,000-$2,000 annually ($4,000-$8,000 over four years), are awarded to candidates who demonstrate talent and commitment in speech competition. Awards are based on a candidate's potential as a competitor, high school academic record, previously demonstrated leadership, and potential for contributions to the Gustavus community.
- Apply online for the Gustavus Speech Scholarship. Please contact Emily Thayer (email@example.com or 507 933 7698) in the Gustavus Admission Office with questions about the Speech Scholarship.
- Lutheran Leadership Award
- Lutheran Leadership Awards, ranging from $250-$2,000 annually ($1,000-$8,000 over four years), are given to Lutheran students whose home congregations are members of the Gustavus Adolphus College Association of Congregations and are nominated by their pastors or Association delegates. The Lutheran Leadership award is awarded based on church involvement, but the amount is determined by financial need. Applications and nominations must be received by June 15, 2017.
- Apply online for the Lutheran Leadership Award. Please contact Kirk Carlson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 507 933 6362) in the Gustavus Financial Aid Office with questions about the Lutheran Leadership Award.
- Church Matching Scholarships
- Established scholarship funds awarded by a student's home congregation--regardless of religion--will be matched by Gustavus up to $1,000 ($4,000 over four years). Written notification from the church indicating the dollar amount or the likelihood of some future award must be received by June 15, 2017.
- Apply online for the Congregational Matching Scholarship. Please contact Kirk Carlson (email@example.com or 507 933 6362) in the Gustavus Financial Aid Office with questions about the Congregational Matching Scholarship.
- Army ROTC Scholarships
- AROTC awards are available for students wishing to become an officer in the U.S. Army: active duty, National Guard or Army Reserves. These scholarships pay tuition up to $20,000 a year, $450 a semester for books and supplies, and a monthly stipend ranging from $250 for a first-year student to $400 for a senior. These scholarships are good for 2, 3, or 4 years and are available for incoming students as well as students already on campus. For general information, go to http://www.goarmy.com/rotc. Additionally, ROTC students may receive a scholarship to pay room and board at Gustavus each year (equaling $9,110 for the 2016-2017 academic year). Gustavus is a partnership school of the Army ROTC program at Minnesota State University, Mankato. For specific information on their program go to http://ed.mnsu.edu/armyrotc.
* Please note: The information in this site is for incoming (new) and prospective Gustavus students. If you are a returning student, please refer to the Financial Aid website for more information.