The Gustavus Dance Company is comprised of students who have attained an advanced level of technical fluency in modern dance technique. They are required to train together to cultivate continued growth and refinement in the art form, while promoting a sense of community and a shared sense of purpose.
The Apprentice Dance Company includes students who have attained an intermediate skill level in modern dance technique. They too are required to train together (as an entity separate from the GDC) at a level appropriate for their technical abilities.
The Department of Theatre and Dance’s mission emphasizes the value of performance as a vital means of working for social justice and personal transformation.
The Department of Theatre and Dance involves students in creative inquiry, embodied knowledges, inventive collaboration and skillful expression of ideas in order to prepare them for lives of leadership, service, and excellence in the arts, culture and business of the future. Each student in Theatre and Dance explores performance, design, technology and research in a multifaceted liberal arts context. Theatre and Dance students acquire foundational skills in multiple aspects of performance and production.
GUSTAVUS DANCE COMPANY CONSTITUTION
The name of this organization shall be the Gustavus Dance Company.
The Gustavus Adolphus Dance Company provides the campus community with entertainment and classes that enhance the understanding of technique in ballet, modern, and jazz dance among other dance related classes. Students/members are given the opportunity to perform and dance in a scheduled fall and/or spring concerts in which gives the members/students an opportunity to undergo the choreographing process. With this, the students are exposed to a different way of public speaking; instead of words, the body is used to convey any given topic. Performing in any given show or taking class gives the students an opportunity to learn and develop several motor and communicative skills that are useful for any career path. The Gustavus Dance Company always works to convey the beauty in creating dance, the beauty of the body when it moves, as well as the importance of taking care of your body. New and prospective students of Gustavus become aware of the Dance Company through the Anderson Scholarship Program that is awarded by the Theatre/Dance Department yearly, advertisements posted in several different areas on campus, and by word of mouth. Any incoming or new student of Gustavus is given the opportunity to participate in classes with the Gustavus Dance Company members and is made aware of his/her opportunity to audition for the Gustavus Dance Apprentice Company or Gustavus Dance Company. Any student who wishes to participate in the Spring Dance Concert must be a member of the Gustavus Apprentice or Dance Company through audition in the fall of each semester.
1. Students who wish to become a member of the Gustavus Apprentice Dance Company or Gustavus Dance Company must attend an audition during orientation of their freshman year, or an audition at the end of May for the following school year.
2. Students will then be informed of their placement the following week of the audition.
3. New members of the Gustavus Apprentice Dance Company and Gustavus Dance Company will be posted the following week of the audition on a billboard next to the Kresge dance studio.
Auditions are held in the Kresge Dance Studio, lead by a professor of the Gustavus Dance Department.
1. Members of the Company must take at least one modern technique class every semester in order to maintain modern dance technique.
2. Members are encouraged to participate, whether in performance or by choreographing, for a fall and/or spring dance concert.
3. Members may not discriminate against any person based on age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
4. All members must abide by the Gustavus Adolphus College campus regulations.
LOSS OF RECOGNITION
Members of the Gustavus Dance Company may lose their status for any of the following reasons:
1. The Company member is not attending modern technique classes, whether it be for credit or not;
2. The Company member does not attend all rehearsals when partaking in a dance piece for any fall or spring concert, unless there is a prior discussion with the choreographer;
3. The Company member is found to be in violation of one or more of the policies outlined in the Student Code of Conduct found in the Gustavus Adolphus College, Gustie Guide.
RIGHTS & PRIVILEDGES
Members of the Gustavus Dance Company are entitled to:
1. Schedule and use Gustavus Adolphus College Dance/Theatre Department facilities;
2. Apply for funds from Student Senate and/or other campus sources;
3. Associate with Gustavus Adolphus College’s name with the Company;
4. Be included in Gustavus Adolphus College publications when appropriate;
5. Sponsor campus programs and activities;
6. Conduct fundraising activities on campus;
7. Receive information from the college regarding policies, procedures, and liability;
Members of the Gustavus Dance Company are expected to:
1. Adhere to all federal, state and local laws and College policies;
2. Ensure that its membership will not practice any physical or psychologically abusive behaviors, either intentionally or unintentionally;
American College Dance Festival Association (ACDFA), North-Central region