- State of Minnesota
- County: Nicollet
- City: St. Peter
- Nearest Largest City: Mankato
- KRBI 105.5 FM / 1310 AM St. Peter
- KDOG 96.7 FM Mankato
- KEEZ 99.1 FM Mankato
- KYSM 103.5 FM Mankato
- KTOE 1420 AM Mankato
- WCCO 830 AM Mpls/St. Paul
- Channel 4 Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Channel 5 Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Channel 11 Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Channel 12 Mankato
- Civil Defense Sirens
- In Minnesota, the sirens are ONE METHOD of notifying residents of the presence of a Severe Weather Warning. Sirens are designed for persons who are outdoors. Persons indoors are expected to be aware of the weather and to turn to an appropriate media channel for further information. If the siren has sounded and stopped, it should NOT be construed as an all clear. Rather, wait for the media to issue the all clear.
- Severe Weather
- In Minnesota, severe weather takes different forms depending on the season. In late spring through fall, severe weather can include thunderstorms, tornadoes, hail, and straight-line winds.
- Severe Weather WATCH
- Conditions are right for severe weather to occur.
- Severe Weather WARNING
- Severe weather has been confirmed and is moving in a direction that jeopardizes the local area. GO TO SAFETY IMMEDIATELY!
- Straight Line Winds
- Tornado strength winds that do not rotate but blow in straight lines.
- Severe Thunderstorms
- Rainstorms that include thunder and lightning, as well as possibility of various sizes of hail.
- Conditions are right for a tornado when a hot humid air mass collides with a cold air mass. Wind speeds of a tornado can reach 200 MPH.
Severe Weather Response
Be aware of your location and the location of the storm shelter in the building you are in.
If a Severe Weather Watch is Issued
- Listen to local radio and TV stations for further updates.
- Be alert to changing weather conditions.
If a Severe Weather Warning is Issued
- If you are inside, go to the safe place in the building.
- If you are outside, hurry to the basement of a nearby sturdy building or lie flat in a ditch or low-lying area.
- If you are in a motor vehicle, get out immediately and head for safety.
Gustavus Shelter Locations
- Arbor View Apartments -- Lower Level Bathrooms/Laundry Room
- College View Apartments -- Lower Level Bathrooms/Laundry Room
- ILS Houses -- Basement (away from windows)
- International Center -- Basement Hallway
- Gibbs Hall -- Interior Hallways and Bathrooms
- Norelius Hall -- Basement Hallways and Stairwells
- North Hall -- Interior Hallway and Stairwell w/o Windows, Laundry Room
- Pittman Hall -- Interior Hallways (close all doors)
- Prairie View Hall -- Southwest Hall Basement Bathrooms
- Rundstrom Hall -- North Bathrooms (each floor)
- Sohre Hall -- Interior Hallways (close all doors)
- Sorensen Hall -- Interior Hallways/Basement Kitchen/Laundry Rooms
- Southwest Hall -- Bathrooms (all floors), Laundry Room
- Uhler Hall -- Interior Hallways (all floors)
Academic and Administrative Buildings
- Administration -- Basement - Interior Rooms w/o Windows
- Bernadotte Library -- Basement - AV Classrooms, Rooms w/o Windows
- Beck Hall -- Basement - Rooms w/o windows, Bathrooms
- Campus Center --Basement - Interior Hallways, Gustie Den, Book Mark, Gallery
- Christ Chapel -- Basement, Bathrooms, Old Main, and Nobel
- Confer/Vickner -- Lower Level North Hallway, 2nd Floor Computer Room, All Bathrooms
- Interpretive Center -- Bathrooms, Fine Art Building
- Lund Center -- Locker Rooms, Bathrooms, Room 224
- Mattson Hall -- Fine Arts Building - Basement Band Room
- Nobel Hall -- Basement Interior Hallways, Wallenberg Auditorium, Rooms w/o Windows
- Old Main -- Basement - Interior Hallways, Men’s Bathrooms (1st and 2nd floors)
- Olin Hall -- Basement Hallway, Interior Rooms w/o Windows
- Physical Plant Shops -- Building “A” Bathrooms and Conference Room
- Schaefer Fine Arts-Art -- Interior Rooms w/o Windows, Bathrooms
- Schaefer Fine Arts-Music/Theatre -- Lower Levels w/o Windows, Bathrooms
- Student Union -- Basement - Bathrooms or Library Basement
- Swanson Tennis Center -- Bathrooms/ Mechanical Room