Administrative Guidelines for Academic Department Chairs
Section Seven – Program Assessment of Student Learning
- Program Assessment of Student Learning – 7:1
- Ongoing Assessment Activities – 7:2
Program Assessment of Student Learning– 7:1
In order to promote the academic quality of the department’s programs, Chairs should coordinate with the Department’s Program Assessment Liaison (PAL) in the regular assessment of student learning and in organizing external reviews.
Ongoing Assessment Activities – 7:2
Each department should select a Program Assessment Liaison (PAL) to coordinate the assessment efforts. Due to the ongoing and continuous nature of assessment of student learning, it is recommended that the PAL is not also the chair.
Each department has developed an Assessment Plan. These plans describe each department’s desired learning outcomes, assessment measures to be carried out, and methods of interpretation and reporting of data. Departments should annually review their assessment plan to determine which assessments will be carried out and by whom. If outcomes or assessment methods change, the department’s Assessment Plan document should be revised to reflect those changes.
Although the PAL coordinates the department’s assessment activities, Chairs are responsible for ensuring that all department members are familiar with the following:
- Stated learning outcomes should reflect the department’s mission.
- Assessment measures should be directed at discerning whether students are achieving those desired outcomes.
- Measurement activities should be practical and achievable and should, wherever possible, take advantage of the work the department already does in the course of examining and refining its programs. They should not significantly add to the department’s workload.
- The purpose of assessment is to use what is learned to guide decision-making about student learning in the department’s program.
- The PAL will prepare the Annual Assessment Report and submit to the College Assessment Director, who determines the form and content of the report. Chairs are encouraged to provide input and feedback on the report.
Assessment is a shared responsibility, and should be an occasion for regular departmental conversations about student learning in the context of its mission. Funds are available from the Provost’s Office for assessment activities, including postage for surveys, departmental assessment retreats, etc. Other resources for assessment include:
- College Assessment Director: meets regularly with PALs as well as with the entire department to provide ongoing assistance and resources for successful implementation of assessment of student learning; contact Dan Moos (firstname.lastname@example.org or x7481).
- Alumni Office: provides addresses of graduates for a survey (majors and/or minors); contact Jodi Bruns (email@example.com or x7516).
- Career Center: for information on internships; contact Janine Knutson (firstname.lastname@example.org or x7509).
- Library: maintains a spreadsheet of student research presentations searchable by department; contact Jeannie Peterson (email@example.com or x7556).
- Institutional Research: to discuss survey instruments and review instrument design; contact David Menk (firstname.lastname@example.org or x6539).
- Committee for the Assessment of Student Learning: for discussing assessment issues, reviewing plans, etc.; contact the committee chair, as listed in the “Green Pages“ of the Faculty Book online.
Copyright 2016-17, Gustavus Adolphus College. All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: 13 June 2016, by Shanon Nowell