Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know what level course I should take?

If you have taken ANY Spanish courses in high school, you need to take the placement exam to find out what level you place in.

If you have NEVER studied Spanish, you will need to register for Spanish 101. If you are a native-speaker or heritage speaker of Spanish, you should set up an appointment with Prof. Marisa Kalbermatten who will advice you on what class to register for.

If you have a special case or have questions regarding placement, e-mail both Prof. Marisa Kalbermatten and Prof. Ana Adams explaining your situation.

**Note that your official high school transcript will be checked if you enroll in the first semester of any language.

For more information: Refer to the language courses and requirements page.

How do I declare a major or a minor?

To declare a major you need to choose an advisor. Have your advisor sign a Declaration of Major/Minor/Advisor Form to formalize your entrance to the major. Next, it is important to set up a special appointment with the advisor to look at your four-year plan.

To formalize the addition of a minor, you need the signature of one of your professors on your Declaration of Major/Minor/Advisor Form. There is no formal advising of minors, however if at any point you have questions, do not hesitate to approach your professor with questions.

How do I choose a Spanish advisor?

All majors need and advisor to plan registration, study abroad, and graduation, among other.
Spanish advisors are: Dr. Ana Adams, Dr. Angelique Dwyer and Dr. Marisa Kalbermatten, Dr. Carlos Mejía, and Dr. Darío Sánchez-González. Education students will have Prof. Kalbermatten as their Spanish advisor.

When do I need to meet with my Spanish advisor?

You may meet with your advisor at any time. However, there are important times you should request an appointment with your Spanish advisor:

  1. When you declare your major to write your four-year plan.
  2. Before studying abroad. According to your four-year plan needs, your advisor can give you pre-approval so your courses abroad will transfer. Once abroad, you should keep in contact with your advisor at registration, and should provide a final list of the courses you registered for your semester/s abroad.
  3. Each semester before registration you should verify with your advisor which courses to register for. Please present your full class schedule, four-year plan and degree audit.
  4. The semester before graduation in order to plan the completion of the Spanish Portfolio.
  5. During your graduation semester, you will need to meet with your advisor to formalize the completion of the Spanish Portfolio and other graduation paperwork required by the College.

Can I get a tutor?

Spanish tutors of all levels are available at the Culpeper Language Learning Center. To meet with a tutor you can stop by Culpeper directly or you can sign up before hand to make sure you have an appointment.
You will find additional information about each tutor on the Culpeper bulletin board.

How can I become a tutor?

Tutoring on campus is a wonderful way for students to use personal skills to help a fellow student. Students who are interested in becoming a tutor can contact Prof. Angelique Dwyer or Prof. Marisa Kalbermatten.

Where should I study abroad?

That depends on many factors, including your personal interests, your activities, whether you have a double major, and the courses you need for your Spanish major or minor. It is important to choose a location where you can maximize your opportunities to speak Spanish, have contact with native Spanish speakers, and immerse yourself in the local culture. Be sure to discuss your plans with your advisor! Then take a look at the approved study abroad courses on the Center for International and Cultural Education page.

To search and explore programs, go to Study Away.

How can I become a member of Sigma Delta Pi?

Contact Dr. Ana Adams for information on how to become a member of Sigma Delta Pi.