Veteran Resources

The mission of the VA School Certifying Official (SCO) is to provide aid and support for all students impacted by military service. Veterans, current military members, and military family members are encouraged to contact the GAC SCO for personalized information about both on and off campus resources available to meet their unique needs.

In partnership with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA), we can provide information regarding: 

  • Certification Pprocess for Educational Benefits;
  • Educational Benefits and Scholarships;
  • Veterans' Employment Help and Unemployment Benefits;
  • Medical Benefits;
  • Mental Health Resources;
  • Family Assistance Services;
  • Service-Connected Disability Claims;
  • Legal Services;
  • Post-Deployment Transition Issues; 
  • Veterans' Rights Regarding Residency Status;
  • Payment Extensions;
  • Military Transfer Credits; and/or
  • Accommodations for deployments.

For information and assistance regarding benefits and resources, please contact:

Christopher Baxter 
Associate Dean of Financial Aid
VA School Certifying Official
Financial Aid Office

David Schrader
Southeast Regional Coordinator
MN Department of Veteran Affairs

Scholarships for Veterans, Current Military Members, and Dependents

There are several scholarship opportunities available for veterans, current military members, and their dependents. For more information please visit to view a complete listing of scholarships.


You have earned college-level credit for your military training. To get military transfer credits, have an official copy of your military transcript sent to the admissions office for evaluation. Military transcripts can be obtained from:

Air Force 

  • Log in to AFVEC (Air Force Virtual Education Center)
  • Under Self Service click “CCAF Student Services”
  • Click “Transcripts”
  • Click “Order CCAF transcript”

For all other branches please visit the following link: Joint Services Transcripts

County Veteran Service Officers

Veteran Service Officers will help you write and submit your benefits claims to the VA. Their services are free. They will help you gather the information that supports your claim. Once the claim is filed they will help you track the claim through the system. They can also help you file appeals for denied claims. It is important that you use a Veteran Service Officer. They will help you avoid the delays that missing paperwork or improperly filled out claims can cause.

To locate your State/County Veteran Service Office please click the following link, scroll to the bottom of the screen and select your state of residence: Veteran Service Offices

Helpful links

We want your transition to campus and/or civilian life to be as smooth as possible. In addition to the resources that you have on campus, you may find these websites helpful: