Information for Proposals
Office of Government Grants and Sponsored Programs
For Requests Submitted 2016–2017
Current indirect costs rate
As negotiated with the US Department of Health and Human Services - effective June 1, 2015, subject to funder's specific guidelines and restrictions:
- On-campus: 48% of salaries and wages only (including student summer housing stipends)Off-campus (use this rate when 50% or more of all project activities occur off-campus and facility rental is allocated to the project): 23% of salaries and wages only (including student summer housing stipends)
Fringe benefits rate for externally funded summer activities
- For 9- and 12-month contracted Faculty and Staff eligible for the pension plan, the rate is 15.5% of salaries and wages. (This represents the College's contribution of 7% towards pension, 8.5% for statutory benefits. Statutory benefits consist of 7.65% FICA, 0.79% Worker's Compensation and 0.06% Unemployment Compensation.) (Note that Physical Plant employees are charged a different Worker's Compensation rate; check with Vice President for Finance and Treasurer Ken Westphal for this rate.)
- For Faculty and Staff not eligible for the pension plan, the total benefits amount equals the statutory benefits rate of 8.5%.
- For Gustavus students, the summer rate of 8.44% equals the statutory benefits rate less Unemployment Compensation. Non-Gustavus Students are not charged statutory benefits.
- There are no statutory benefits charged to the grant for Gustavus Students employed during the academic year.
On-campus basis* for salary for personnel
- Faculty and Staff Academic Year Salary: In determining projected increases for faculty and staff salaries for future years, please contact Sarah Bridges or Megan Berglund.
- Faculty Summer Salary: The basis for faculty and staff summer compensation is typically 1/9 of the previous academic year's salary/month.
- Students Academic Year Wages/Stipends: Hourly wages for the academic year are $9.50 or more, depending on the nature of employment.
- Students Summer Wages/Stipends: Recommended summer wages are $425 week, unless external funding guidelines or budget limitations preclude such a rate.
Summer student housing
For the summer of 2016, air-conditioned student housing is valued at $75/week. Costs for air-conditioned summer housing for students engaged in research activities may or may not be an eligible proposal budget expense, based on grant program guidelines. Please visit with Sarah Bridges or Megan Berglund for guidance.
The student housing stipend is considered taxable income for students; therefore, statutory benefits of 8.53% of the housing stipend is charged to the applicable external grant program, as allowed. The appropriate indirect cost rate is also applied to the summer student housing stipend.
Mileage reimbursement from January 1, 2016, through December 31, 2016, should be calculated at $0.54/mile. Please click here for Gustavus' travel policy.
College vehicle charges
The costs for renting a college car or van for a college-related event are $0.58/mile and $0.64/mile, respectively (as of January 28, 2016). There is no additional expense for gas; a gas charge card is provided by the College. The minimum charge for using a vehicle is $25.00.
Gustavus Adolphus College will continue to follow the procurement requirement of OMB Circular A-110 and will utilize the grace period allowed in the Uniform Guidance and as extended by the Office of Management and Budget technical corrections. The procurement standards in the Uniform Guidance become effective at the College on June 1, 2017.
Submission numbers for federal forms
Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN): 41-0695524
Authorized institutional officials
Chief Financial Officer (signatory for grant agreements and contracts)
Thomas Rooney, Vice President for Finance and Treasurer
Phone: (507) 933-7499
Fax: (507) 933-6391
Chief Academic Officer
Dr. Brenda Kelly, Provost and Dean
Phone: (507) 933-7541
Fax: (507) 933-7081
Chief Executive Officer
Rebecca M. Bergman, President
Phone: (507) 933-7537
Signatories for Grant and Contract Submissions
Sarah A. Bridges, Director of Faculty Grants
Phone: (507) 933-7049
Fax: (507) 933-7081
Megan Berglund, Director of Government, Foundation and Corporate Relations
Phone: (507) 933-6473
Fax: (507) 933-6270
First congressional district and related information
US Senators: Amy Klobuchar and Al Franken
US Representative for the 1st Congressional District: Tim Walz
State government information
Last updated 11.21.16