To apply for financial assistance, just follow these step-by-step directions:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We recommend filing electronically at www.FAFSA.gov.
- Both student and parent will need their FSA ID
- It's most helpful to print a copy of the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet and complete it before completing the application on-line. (If you choose to complete and refer to a copy of the paper FAFSA as you file online, keep in mind that the order of the paper FAFSA does not correspond with the online FAFSA)
- Do keep a copy of your application for your records
- If you are unable to complete the FAFSA online, a paper version is available.
- Submit additional requested documents in a timely manner. Review "My Documents" on the Gustavus WebAdvisor to see outstanding forms required to complete your file.
- Apply for all outside sources of assistance for which you are eligible. Community organizations, churches, insurance companies, corporations, and employers often give awards and/or matching grants based on financial need, academic achievement or membership. Review the applications posted outside the financial aid office. In most cases, outside scholarships will reduce the amount of loan you will need to finance your Gustavus education.
- If there are special circumstances that affect your ability to contribute or your parent's ability to contribute to your educational expenses, please submit the Appeal Form outlining these circumstances to the Financial Aid Office. Instructions for reporting and documenting the most common circumstances can be found on the forms section of the Financial Aid web site under Appeal Form.
It is important that you meet all application deadlines to maximize the amount of assistance available to you. Minnesota residents should take special note of the state grant deadline posted in the FAFSA instructions.