Laura Westlund '12
Name: Laura Westlund
Graduating Class: 2012
Your Story: My name is Laura Westlund and I am from Hutchinson, MN.
I chose Gustavus because I have grown up with Gustavus in my blood with both of my parents, grandparents, and my brother attending. I enjoyed science in high school, and I knew Gustavus had great science programs, so it just seemed like a good fit.
My interest in pre-pharmacy started my freshman year when I knew I wanted to do something in the health care industry, but just was unsure of what field. I had been exposed to the profession from a young age with a pharmacist as a close family friend. After working a summer at a pharmacy, I knew that this is what I wanted to do.
Top Five activities/experiences:
- Going abroad to Australia and New Zealand over J-Term
- Attending athletic events, especially football, basketball, and hockey
- Participating in Big Partner, Little Partner
- Being involved with various organizations including Chem Club, Pre-Pharmacy Club, and intramural tennis
- I wish I would have taken both Chemistry and Biology my first year at Gustavus, because I felt like I was behind a year in Biology.
- I wish I would have continued taking my Spanish classes. It would be really helpful to be bilingual, especially in the healthcare industry.
- I would encourage everyone to go abroad, even if it is just for a month like I did. It really is a great opportunity to learn more about yourself and become more independent.
Future plans: Next September I will be attending the University of Minnesota School of Pharmacy in the Twin Cities and will plan to graduate with a PharmD in May of 2016.