Eli Benz '14
Name: Eli Benz
Graduating Class: 2014
Major: Biology, Neuroscience Minor
Hi! My name is Eli Benz, and I’m a senior at Gustavus. I grew up on a ranch in Steele, North Dakota.
I chose Gustavus because of its strong academics, the opportunity to play D3 athletics, and the incredible faculty and student body. My mom and great-grandfather are also GAC alumni.
My interest in medicine started at a very young age, as I have always enjoyed serving others and learning about how the human body works. I confirmed that a career in medicine was for me while shadowing physicians after my freshman year at GAC, and working with patients during my C.N.A. job. Professors at Gustavus were also very helpful to me during this process, because they opened my eyes to a world of possibilities! They genuinely care and want you to succeed.
Top Five Activities/Experiences: (in no particular order)
- Being a member of the Gustavus Women’s Basketball Team
- Working as a Certified Nursing Assistant in a skilled nursing facility
- Various leadership roles I’ve had on campus: coordinator in the Center for Servant Leadership, Cell and Molecular Biology T.A., Writing Center Tutor
- The Gustavus community is second to none, so just all of the memories I’ve made with my friends along the way
- The summer I spent shadowing physicians and other health-care professionals
- AND the Scandinavian Olympic Quest J-term I’m going on – even though it hasn’t happened yet :)
- It’s important to work very hard in your classes, but take time to be with friends, get involved on campus, exercise, and have fun! Balance is key.
- Explore your interests. Whether its music, sports, cooking, travel, etc., pursue what you are passionate about. That is the best part of going to a small, liberal arts college!
- Use your summers wisely. Doing things like research, job shadowing, or getting clinical experience is the best way to find out if medicine is really for you. Plus, it will be much easier to talk about your experiences when it comes to application time.
Attending Creighton Medical School, starting in the fall of 2014!
Updated 7/3/2014 HB