Anthony Mefford '12
Name: Anthony Mefford
Graduating Class: 2012
Major: Biology, Neuroscience minor
Anthony Mefford, Gustavus Class of 2012, grew up in Oakland, CA. I went to Piedmont High School and played ice hockey and soccer growing up. I took two years off to play junior hockey before beginning at Gustavus and I lived in Vancouver, BC and Dover, New Hampshire for a year each.
I chose Gustavus because of the sense of community and great campus, and to play ice hockey.
My interest in pre-medicine started as an athlete, as I was always interested in how the human body and brain work.
My most influential experience at Gustavus confirming pre-medicine path was when I volunteered in the Emergency Department at Mayo Clinic during my senior year.
Top Five Activities/Experiences:
- Volunteer in the Emergency Department at the Mayo Clinic
- Research at Gustavus and traveling to conferences
- Pre-medical international service program in Lima, Peru
- January Term Pre-medical career exploration at Mankato Clinic
- Gustavus Men’s hockey team, freshman and sophomore year
- Get involved early. Med schools want to see students who have long-term involvements in a wide variety of activities including research, clubs, sports, etc.
- Get to know your professors and the pre-medical advisor, Heather Banks. They are your best resources and you will need letters of recommendation eventually.
- Consider taking a year off before beginning medical school. Many applicants are now choosing to do this as it gives you time to travel, work, or do things that you won’t have a chance to do once you are in med school. It also allows you to strengthen your application by adding new experiences.
I decided to take a year off before beginning medical school and I am doing research in a neurobiology lab at University of California San Francisco. I am applying to MD/PhD dual-degree programs and will be attending interviews over the fall and winter. I also am coaching youth hockey in Oakland, CA.
Attending University of California, Davis Medical School, starting Fall 2013.
Updated 7/3/2014 HB