Twin Cities Week
Summer Gatherings are an opportunity for Gustavus alumni, parents, and friends across the country to enjoy summertime activities. From backyard barbecues and baseball games to wine tastings at the vineyard and concerts in the park, this is your time to get together with the Gustavus community.
Gustavus Twin Cities Week is an entire week dedicated to getting Gusties together in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Here's the lineup for this year:
Sunday, July 10—Gustie Sabbath and Brunch at Stella’s Fish Café or Lucía’s
- In conjunction with the Gustavus Office of Church Relations, we’re encouraging Gusties to worship together and make their presence known at churches throughout the metro area. Snap a picture of Gustie worshippers in your home congregation and send it in for inclusion in future Gustavus publications! Please send pictures to email@example.com, or tweet @gustiealum using the hashtag #gogusties
- Dine at Stella’s or Lucia’s on Sunday for brunch and use our coupon to earn 10% off your check from 11 a.m.–2 p.m. Reservations are strongly encouraged at Open Table.
Monday, July 11—Happy Hour at Maynards in Excelsior
- Join fellow Gusties on the Wharf at Maynard’s for an informal gathering. Wear your Gustie gear to earn discount passes for future events like Homecoming – and score some new Gustie swag for your collection!
Tuesday, July 12—Hazeltine Golf Outing
- This incredible, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity includes lunch, a Ryder Cup tour, and a round of golf on the course AFTER it has been closed to the public in anticipation of the upcoming tournament. This event is sold out - please join us for other gatherings this week!
Wednesday, July 13—“Gusties Take the Stage” at the Cambria Gallery, downtown Minneapolis
- Gustie musicians will be featured on stage from 5–8 p.m.; cocktails and appetizers will be served from 4:30–8 p.m. Cocktails provided by Bent Paddle Brewing Company and BĒT Vodka, two companies founded by Gusties! Appetizers will be catered by the Gustavus Dining Service (ranked #7 in the nation!) and desserts from Cheri Brown, Gustavus employee and owner of Chering Sweets Custom Designed Cupcakes. Read more about our featured artists here:
- Erik Carlson '15 boasts an eclectic taste in music that is reflected in his performance choices. From classical and musical theater pieces to more contemporary selections, his impressive voice and stage presence have been true assets to the Gustavus community!
- Carl Franzén '64 is a singer-songwriter whose works have been recorded by John Denver and Michael Johnson. His work "Ja Wohl" was one of five compositions selected from artists nationwide to be performed at the 30th anniversary of the American Composer’s Forum. Currently he is collecting video stories for the Young John Denver Oral History project, traveling to meet with musicians and associates who worked with Denver before he became a household name. Franzén video and music projects can be found on his YouTube channel.
- Mike Cicchese '07 and Matt Trost perform original songs and covers in the vein of Ed Sheeran, Gavin DeGraw, and Passenger. Matt brings his original songs to life through storytelling and emotion. Check out some uploads from Matt here!
- Cam Nelson '13, Rush Benson '13, Wes Baish '13, Jordan Daoust and Will Hawkinson are Cedar & Stone, a folk-rock band featuring varied instrumentation and a fresh yet familiar vibe.
- John Kerns '96, Kevin Dragseth '96, Doug Grimm '96, Andrew Feyder '97 and Shelly Domke are Kerns and the Hemispheres. They "make your ears bigger", blending progressive rock with edgy pop and incorporating unique chord progressions with quirky yet singable melodies. Performing both original tracks penned by Kerns and covers of bands like The Eagles, Simon & Garfunkle, Sade, Phish, Blue Oyster Cult, The Beatles, Lenny Kravitz, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Stevie Wonder, Kansas, Tom Petty, Genesis, Men at Work and more, The Hemispheres prove to be a colorful listen. Check out their website for more information!
Thursday, July 14—Outdoor movie at Centennial Lakes Park Pavilion, Edina
- Join us in the park for this family-friendly event! Enjoy outdoor games and shop for local goods at the Centennial Lakes Farmer’s Market before the movie “Jurrasic World” starts at dusk. Stop by the Gustavus tent on the southeast corner of the park for photo ops and free swag (look for the black and gold balloons). Show your Gustie Spirit and earn discount passes for future Gustie events!
Friday, July 15—Gusties Night at CHS Field; St. Paul Saints vs. Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks
- Join Gusties of all ages as we storm CHS field! The event will feature dinner on “The Lawn” before the game, where you can gather and connect with fellow Gusties. Then, take your seats in the lower level and watch Mike Wobschall '06, Minnesota Vikings Senior Content Manager and recently named "Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s Twin Cities Finest" throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Gus the Lion will be on hand for the game spreading the Gustie Spirit and giving away all sorts of goodies! Be sure to stay for the end of the game to cap off our Twin Cities Week with a BANG; fireworks immediately follow featuring music from The Beach Boys.
If you are interested in hosting an event at your home or other venue please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will assist in the planning, promotion, and preparation.