Records Management at
Gustavus Adolphus College
How to Transfer Records
All materials transferred to the Gustavus Records Center must follow the appropriate retention schedule. Records transferred to the Gustavus Records Center should be LOW or NO USE items, due to limited retrieval services.
- Identify records that need to be kept for a specific amount of time based on the retention schedule.
- Electronic Records:
- Please contact the archives for information concerning the transfer of electronic files.
- Paper Records:
- The Gustavus Records Center requires all transferred paper records be filed in proper records storage boxes. Dimensions must be no larger than 12" x 10" x 15". If you have small transfers, please contact the College Archivist for additional information about appropriate boxes.
- It is wise to leave approximately 1" of space in each box to allow ease of reference. Do not overpack the boxes.
- Never put additional material on the bottom, side, or top of records in the box. Do not include mixed media (computer disks, microforms, or videocassettes) in the same transfer with paper records without prior approval.
- Transferred records packed in unapproved, oversized, taped, or improperly marked containers may be (probably will be) deemed unsuitable for pick-up and transfer to the Gustavus Records Center.
- Number all boxes in the following manner: the number of the individual box and the total number of boxes.; such as 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3.
- Complete a Transfer Form detailing the box inventory.
- A complete box inventory includes the box contents, the dates covered, and the destruction date for each individual box.
- Keep records with the same destruction date together within the same box.
- A complete box inventory will ensure accurate retrieval and disposition in the future.
- Each department should retain copies of all original Transfer Forms.
- E-mail the College Archives with your attached Transfer Forms.