The Gribly was the name of a printed publication containing directory information about Students, Faculty and Staff. The name was applied to Gustavus' rewritten online directory application in the summer of 2006, when the print version was discontinued in mass quantities.
A Gustavus directory was first published in the 1950's as the "Gustie Directory." After a major reformatting and an original joke title of "The Universal Gribly Index of Gustieville" for the 1966-1967 school year, the directory was rebranded as "The Gribly" and was published every year up to the 2005-2006 school year.
The printed Gribly was a spiral-bound printed directory of Gustavus students, employees, and departments, available for free to all Gustavus community members. The Gribly's production was generally handled by publications coordinator Steve Waldhauser, working in collaboration with other departments such as Human Resources, Administrative Information Systems, Core Services, Residential Life, Dean of Students Office, and Dining Services.
A typical entry in the printed Gribly contained the following information about Gustavus students and employees:
- Home address
- Campus Phone number
- Campus Residence Information
- Class year
While the mass printing of the Gribly has been discontinued, a limited number of copies are printed each year, available for a small fee.
An electronic directory has existed on the Gustavus Website in some form since 2001. Before 2004, the online directory contained text information from the Gribly, but no photos. During the 2004-2005 school year, Web Services added photo functionality to the directory which could only be accessed by faculty and staff, as a trial run. Although the addition of photos online raised some privacy concerns, the new feature was generally well-received, and the Administrative Council gave the go-ahead to open up student access to photos in the electronic directory for the 2006-2007 school year, assuming certain privacy issues were resolved.
During the summer of 2006, Web Services did a massive rewrite of the online directory application, with user-privacy in mind. This new application was branded "The Gribly" after the printed directory. The new application was designed to meet and exceed the functionality of the printed Gribly. Some advantages include:
- Being searchable
- Allowing users to immediately edit privacy settings (such as hiding one's photo)
- Always being up-to-date
- Allowing immediate changes editable information
In 2011, the Gribly was retired and Profiles took its place. Profiles allows for greater flexibility and control over user information and privacy. It also allows for users to upload their own images, add nicknames, and most importantly update their emergency contact information.
Updating your information
To provide the most up-to-date Profiles possible, we have given you the ability to update/limit the information that appears in your Profile. We ask that you take this opportunity seriously; the submission of inappropriate material will result in the loss of this privilege.
Take the following steps to update your information in the Gribly:
- Go to the edit page.
- On the left hand column, click through the various tabs corresponding to the different aspects of your profile.
- Click on the appropriate link for the section you wish to update.
- To add, upload or change your profile picture, click the link titled "Profile pictures and attachments." Next, click the "+Add files..." link. To make the newly added picture your profile picture, drag the file over your current profile picture on the right hand side. If you do not wish to keep your previous picture, you can click the "x" on there upper left hand corner of the picture to delete it.
- Once you have finished updating your information, click "Save" and you are done.