Student Research and Internship Opportunities
Gustavus students presented their 2012 summer research at the Fall Research Symposium
Friday, September 21, 2012 in Nobel Hall on the Gustavus campus.
Opportunities for Summer 2013
On-campus / Gustavus-related:
Gustavus chemistry faculty welcome the opportunity to research with students during the summertime and often have funding for ten-week summer research projects for students. If you are interested, please contact the faculty member whose research you find to be of interest. Inquiries should be made early, preferably in the fall or early spring.
Click here to see the webpage for the Gustavus Faculty-Student Summer Research in Science and Mathematics.
- Summer 2012 Research Opportunities (listed alphabetically and include application deadlines and links) This list will be updated for Summer 2013 as information becomes available.
- Flyers are also posted on the bulletin board located in Nobel Hall, 2nd floor / west side hallway.
Additional Links to Off-Campus Sites
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Experiential Programs in Chemistry - an extensive list of fellowships, internships, etc. from a huge variety of academic, government, and private organizations.
- American Comical Society (ACS) – “Get Experience” – This site allows you to find research opportunities, internships in the U.S. by location, chemical field, or keyword searches.
- Cirrus summer research subsection - extensive list of research opportunities in the physical and biological sciences.
- National Science Foundation - funded Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) - NSF-supported summer resarch programs located at institutions across the United States.
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology offers the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship program (NIST-SURF) for students majoring in physics, materials science, chemistry, applied mathematics, computer science, or engineering. There may be research opportunities for students with other majors. This proposal includes a portion completed by an institutional representative (see below) and a set of materials provided by each student applicant. Gustavus students have been successful in securing NIST-SURF grants. Bob Weisenfeld, Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations (x7049) is available to provide more information and assist students in proposal preparation.
- Pathways to Science - Institute for Broadening Participation (IBP) building partnerships to support diversity in STEM
- The “Get Experience” site allows you to find research opportunities, internships, and other chemistry-related experiences and opportunities in the U.S. by offering features such as keyword, location, and chemistry field searches.
Green Corps - The Field School for Environmental Organizing: is looking for college graduates who are ready to take on the biggest environmental challenges of our day. In Green Corps year-long paid program, you¹ll get intensive training in the skills you¹ll need to make a difference in the world. You¹ll get hands-on experience fighting to solve urgent environmental problems ‹ global warming, deforestation, water pollution, factory farming and many others ‹ with groups such as Sierra Club and Food and Water Watch. And, when you graduate from Green Corps, we¹ll help you find a career with one of the nation¹s leading environmental and social change groups. Green Corps Organizers earn a salary of $23,750. Organizers also have a chance to opt into our health care program with a pre-tax monthly salary deferral. In the next few months, we’ll invite 35 college graduates to join Green Corps in 2013 -2014. For more information, visit http://www.greencorps.org or contact Aaron Myran, Recruitment Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. (posted 10/8/12)
Check back for additional current listsings.
Companies previously posting positions:
- Merck: Apply online.
- Pace Analytical - Job Postings
- Segetis - Laboratory Positions - www.segetis.com Segetis is dedicated to developing new materials from renewable resources.
Career Planning & Skills Building
ACS Career Planning Webinars: Click to view past webinars on job searching strategies, resume writing for scientists, interviewing tips, and how the ACS National Conference can help.