Completed in 1876 (renovated 1926 and 2005), Old Main houses the humanities (classics, philosophy, religion, and political science departments). As the College’s only building in 1876, it served as library, dormitory for men, dining hall, science hall, classroom building, and offices, as well as home for the president, some faculty members, and the cook. In 1887, when the College erected Commerce Hall, which contained a new dining hall, a chemical laboratory and two additional classrooms filled the vacated space in the basement level. Old Main housed the sciences until 1963, when Nobel Hall was completed. As late as 1920, graduating seniors maintained a tradition of gathering on Old Main’s roof for a sunrise breakfast prior to commencement exercises.