Location & What to Bring
Young Writers Institute
GAC Young Writers Institute (YWI) is located on the beautiful campus of Gustavus Adolphus College, located in St. Peter, Minn., 65 miles southwest of the Twin Cities on Highway 169. We offer a shuttle to and from the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport.
The camp offers a carefully supervised introduction to college life. Students live in college residence halls, eat in the nationally ranked campus-dining center, and attend sessions in college buildings. Students will utilize the Gustavus library, an excellent and extensive resource for researching public address speeches and interpretation events. The structure, opportunities, and adult supervision available at Gustavus make it a first choice for concerned parents.
What to Bring
Thank you for enrolling in the Gustavus Young Writers Institute. We are getting excited to work with you in hopes of shaping you into a passionate reader and writer.
In order to facilitate your planning, I thought it would be good to share with you some important logistical information. First, you are free to check in anytime between 12:30-1:30pm on Sunday, August 2nd. Please enter campus via College Avenue where you will find signs clearly indicating the direction to the Jackson Campus Center. You will find parking lots located directly in front of the Jackson Campus Center. Please report to the lower level of the Jackson Campus Center to obtain your room key, housing assignment, and institute mementoes. Once you have checked in, a GAC- YWI faculty member will escort you to Uhler Hall. Our first official function will begin at 1:30p.m.
Sunday’s schedule will be as follows:
- 12:30-1:30 p.m.:Registration and Final Payment
- 2:00pm:Warm-ups and Mini-prompts
- 2:30pm:Introduction to Creative Writing
- 3:00pm:Pride Time
- 3:30pm:Skill Session 1: Dramatic Structure
- 4:30pm:Pride Time
- 5:00pm:Common Book Quiet Reading Time
- 5:30pm:Supper (Jackson Campus Center)
- 6:30pm:Book Club Discussion
- 7:00pm:Pride Time
- 7:30pm:Pride Olympics
Second, when packing, you will want to consider bringing the following:
- If you already have an idea(s) for your short story, please bring it with you! This will enable you to get a quicker start and reduce your stress level. If this is not feasible, we will help you brainstorm a starting point.
- Casual summer attire is appropriate for Sunday-Wednesday. The academic buildings utilized during the day are air-conditioned and can be a bit chilly. Please plan accordingly.
- Laptop (If you own a laptop, you will have access to our wireless network, but not the printers. It is not a requirement to bring a computer, as you will have access to computer labs. Having a laptop will provide you with more flexibility.)
- USB Stick/Jump drive
- Fan (Your dorm room is not air conditioned!)
- Alarm Clock
- Blanket (Sheets will be provided.)
- Cash for snacks or a trip to the Gustavus Bookstore
- Notebook and writing utensils
- Desk lamp
Third, we have assigned a staff member to take high quality pictures for the week. We will load roughly 500 pictures onto a 4GB flash drive for you to take home at the conclusion of the institute. The cost is $20. You will also have the opportunity to purchase a pride (group) photo and institute photo featuring all staff and students. These photos will not be on the flash drive. The cost per photo is $5. While your tuition includes one bound copy of your short story, you can order additional bound copies for $15. These items need to be ordered at the time of registration. We will also have an institute store featuring water bottles, bags, flash drives, snacks, etc. that you may purchase during the week.
Fourth, the GAC-YWI schedule and faculty biographies are accessible via gustavus.edu/camps/writers. We have assembled a staff comprised of teachers, book lovers, and creative writers.
Fifth, your remaining tuition balance is due on Sunday, August 2nd when you register on campus. We accept checks, cash, and credit card. Credit card transactions will incur a $15 processing fee. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
Finally, while we will have fun dedicating an entire week to writing a short story, our goal is for you to leave GAC-YWI with a passion for literature. Be prepared to have fun, work diligently in order to maximize the opportunities afforded to you throughout the week, and never be tired. Positive attitudes make us happy!
Needed at the time of registration:
- final payment (no credit cards)
- order for flash drive with camp photos - $20
- order for camp group photo and pride photo - $5 each
- order additional bound copies of your story- $15 each
Should you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to seeing you on August 2nd.