Inside Gustavus (December 6, 2012)
Volume 45, Number 12
Eric Dugdale (Classics) had a paper titled "Up Close and Personal: Encountering Ancient Drama through Performance" as well as a review published in vol. 9.12 of Didaskalia, the journal for ancient performance.
Kristen Lowe (Art and Art History) was highlighted on MPR's State of the Arts, in the St Paul Pioneer Press, and the Star Tribune on Friday Nov. 30 for her documentary, Painting the Place Between which is currently on display at the Minnesota Museum of American Art. Professor Betsy Byers was also highlighted in these announcements.
Kyle Momsen (HES) had an article on Vitamin D supplementation published in American Fencing. Kyle is the Director of the Athletic Training Education Program at Gustavus and an athletic trainer for the United States Fencing Association.
Sophomore political science major Nicole Ektnitphong was crowned St. Lucia for 2012 at the annual Festival of St. Lucia on Thursday, Dec. 6.
The Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations' weekly program or funding opportunity highlight:
National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Summer Seminars and Institutes for Summer 2013
The NEH annually offers faculty opportunities to study humanities topics in a variety of summer seminars and institutes throughout the country. The available stipends for travel, books, research and other living expenses are $2,100 (two weeks), $2,700 (three weeks), $3,300 (four weeks), or $3,900 (five weeks). Requests for application materials are made directly to the seminar or institute director. The application deadline is March 4, 2013. The list of seminars and institutes is online.
For more information on grants or proposal preparation, contact Bob Weisenfeld in the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations (x7049 or email@example.com).
Here are some noteworthy Gustavus-related stories that recently appeared in print or broadcast media locally, regionally, or around the nation:
- The Mankato Free Press printed a story on Sunday, Dec. 2 about Christmas in Christ Chapel and the Saint Johns's Bible. Chaplain Rachel Larson was quoted in the story.
- The Mankato Free Press printed a story on Thursday, Dec. 6 about the upcoming Michael Johnson concert.
Anyone who has suggested additions for this list, suggestions for potential future media stories, or interest in being a media source should contact Matt Thomas (x7510 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
The following people have recently joined the Gustavus community:
* New Support Staff
- Kelly Holland, Administrative Assistant, Theatre & Dance
- Loren Van Grootheest, Mail Room/Post Office Clerk, Print & Mail Services
* New Administrators
- Tricia Frederick, Assistant Director/Intervention Specialist, Peer Education & Chemical Health
- Paul Hanson, Unix Systems Administrator, GTS
News & Announcements
Winter Parking Notes...Please keep the following notes from Campus Safety in mind during the winter months:
- As winter weather approaches, remember that parking regulations are enforced during inclement weather and a parking permit is required for students and staff to park on campus. If you have any questions about parking, contact the Campus Safety office. All green permit parking except designated employee overnight parking in the motor pool is No Parking 2 a.m. - 7 a.m., seven days a week. One row of red permit parking (Stadium lot) is also posted No Parking 2 a.m. - 7 a.m., and enforced seven days a week.
- Always assume that parking is enforced, even if classes are not in session. Parking is enforced during finals.
- If you are leaving your vehicle on campus during Christmas break, you must park in the gravel parking lot – red permit parking in the Bjorling lot directly west of the music building or if that fills up, the designated break parking section in the Arbor View parking lot. Any vehicles not moved to this location during break will be towed at the owner’s expense. Look for the Break Parking signs to park in the correct area – cars parked in the wrong rows of Arbor View/Bjorling will still be towed at owner’s expense ($70 minimum).
- Regular parking enforcement is in effect for January Term and Touring Week. Please park according to permit color and note that visitor parking is closed to students and staff at all times (24/7/365). Stop by the Campus Safety office to register your vehicle prior to parking on campus.
Accreditation Update...The countdown stands at 138 days until the Higher Learning Commission site visit to Gustavus on April 22-24, 2013. Drafts of several self-study chapters have just been posted on our website; go to https://gustavus.edu/provost/HLC/ to view the Introduction and chapters 1 through 4 (Gustavus e-mail username and password required to access this website). A draft of Chapter 5 will be posted next week. The website includes a form to provide feedback to the Steering Committee on any aspects of these chapters. The Steering Committee appreciates comments and suggestions for additional evidence to include in the self-study. Whenever possible, please indicate the specific components or subcomponents of the Criteria for Accreditation to which your comments pertain. Comment forms will remain available through late January, 2013. NOTE: These drafts are considered confidential and are the sole property of Gustavus Adolphus College. The draft report should not be copied or distributed to any non-employee of Gustavus Adolphus College. Questions may be directed to either self-study co-chair: Chris Gilbert (cgilbert, x6093) or Carolyn Pillers Dobler (dobler, x7481).
Donations for Staff Christmas Party...The Staff Personnel Committee has already begun gearing up for our traditional Staff Christmas Party on Friday, December 21. Our Staff Christmas Party is always an exciting time as we try to incorporate the spirit of giving. One of the ways we do this is by providing door prize drawings. Although we have a small budget for purchasing items to give away, we traditionally rely on departments around campus to donate any items as they feel appropriate. Donations may range from a gift card for a campus service to complimentary gifts received from outside vendors to handmade/homemade items that reflect your skill/talent that could be passed on to fellow co-workers as a wonderful gift. In the next few weeks, please watch for items that may come into your office/department and/or items you might already have that you would be willing to donate as a gift. To make a contribution, please contact or send items to Tracey Peymann (email@example.com) in Health Services, Jeannie Peterson (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the library, or Anna Mae Barklow (email@example.com) with Custodial Service.
Gustie Breakfast...You are invited to a Gustie Breakfast Wednesday, Dec. 12. Reserve your spot by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507-933-6664. Engage with other friends of Gustavus and learn something about the College. The on-campus breakfasts will be held at 7:30 a.m. on the second Wednesday of each month in a campus banquet room. Cost is $8 for an individual or $15 per couple, payable at the door. This month’s breakfast will feature Representative Terry Morrow, Associate Professor in Communication Studies and advisor in pre-law. Next month's speaker will feature Kathy Lund Dean. Go online for more information.
Chapel Schedule... All are invited to the worship services at 10 a.m. weekdays and 10:30 a.m. Sundays in Christ Chapel. The upcoming schedule is as follows.
- Friday, Dec. 7 - Chaplain Sabina Koij
- Sunday, Dec. 9 - Chaplain Rod Anderson
- Monday, Dec. 10 - Chaplain Rachel Larson
- Tuesday, Dec. 11 - Will Freiert, Classics
- Wednesday, Dec. 12 - Morning Prayer, Choir of Christ Chapel
- Thursday, Dec. 13 - All Music Day with re:vive
- Friday, Dec. 14 - Chaplain Sabina Koij and Cantor Mattias Ekstrom Koij
- Elsie Gardiner Malagarie, the mother-in-law of Glenn Barnette (Economics and Management), passed away on Monday, Dec. 3 at the age of 88. Funeral services were held Wednesday, Dec. 5 in Lafayette, Louisiana.
- Dr. David W. Anderson, the father of Aron Anderson (Chemistry), passed away on Nov. 13 at the age of 76. Dr. David Anderson served the Twin Cities as a distinguished dermatologist for more than 40 years.
|Today 2–4 pm||Preview the New Gustavus Websitehttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/preview-the-new-gustavus-website/45992Konferensrum|
|Aug 31 8 am to 5 pm||Syllabuspalooza!https://gustavus.edu/calendar/syllabuspalooza-2/45688Konferensrum, Campus Center|
|10–11 am||Title IX Training for Employeeshttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/title-ix-training-for-employees/45947Jackson Campus Center|
|noon to 4 pm||New Faculty Tenure Track Welcome Lunchhttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/new-faculty-tenure-track-welcome-lunch/45686Banquet Room C - St. Peter Banquet Room|
|Sep 1 8:45 am to 4:30 pm||New Faculty Orientation Dayhttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/new-faculty-orientation-day-12/45687Banquet Room B - Heritage Banquet Room|
|noon to 2 pm||Returning Sabbatical Faculty Lunchhttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/returning-sabbatical-faculty-lunch/45745President's Dining Room|
|1 pm||Women's Soccer hosts UW-Eau Clairehttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/women-s-soccer-hosts-uw-eau-claire-2/45211St. Peter, Minn.|
|5–8 pm||Men's Soccer at Martin Luther Collegehttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/men-s-soccer-at-martin-luther-college-3/45143New Ulm, Minn.|
|Sep 2 8:30 am to 2 pm||Faculty Development Dayhttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/faculty-development-day-15/45689Three Crowns Room|
|9–11 am||Tech Drop-in Hourshttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/tech-drop-in-hours-13/45991Olin 124 Lab|
|Sep 3 8:30–9 am||Morning Prayerhttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/morning-prayer-11/45943Christ Chapel|
|9 am to 1:30 pm||Faculty Meetinghttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/faculty-meeting-25/45574Alumni Hall|
|12:15–2 pm||New Faculty Mentors Lunch and Meetinghttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/new-faculty-mentors-lunch-and-meeting-2/45690Banquet Room C - St. Peter Banquet Room|
|2–3 pm||Title IX Training for Employeeshttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/title-ix-training-for-employees/45948Jackson Campus Center|
|2–4 pm||Tech Drop-in Hourshttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/tech-drop-in-hours-13/45990Olin 124 Lab|
||New Student Orientationhttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/new-student-orientation-12/39929Gustavus Campus|
|Sep 4 9–10 am||Title IX Training for Employeeshttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/title-ix-training-for-employees/45949Jackson Campus Center|
|9–11 am||Tech Drop-in Hourshttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/tech-drop-in-hours-13/45989Olin 124 Lab|
|5–8 pm||Men's Soccer hosts St. Norbert College (Gustavus Classic)https://gustavus.edu/calendar/men-s-soccer-hosts-st-norbert-college-gustavus-classic/45144St. Peter, Minn.|
|6–8 pm||Volleyball vs. Cornell College (UW-Platteville Tournament)https://gustavus.edu/calendar/volleyball-vs-cornell-college-uw-platteville-tournament/44882Platteville, Wis.|
|8–10 pm||Volleyball at UW-Platteville (UW-Platteville Tournament)https://gustavus.edu/calendar/volleyball-at-uw-platteville-uw-platteville-tournament-2/44884Platteville, Wis.|
||Men's Golf at Augsburg Invitationalhttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/men-s-golf-at-augsburg-invitational-3/45643Ham Lake, Minn.|
|All day||Women's Golf at Saint Benedict Invitehttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/women-s-golf-at-saint-benedict-invite/45651Sartell, Minn.|
|Sep 5 10 am||Women's Cross Country hosts Alumni Meethttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/women-s-cross-country-hosts-alumni-meet-3/45634St. Peter, Minn.|
|10 am to noon||Volleyball vs. Ripon College (UW-Platteville Tournament)https://gustavus.edu/calendar/volleyball-vs-ripon-college-uw-platteville-tournament/44885Platteville, Wis.|
|10:45 am||Men's Cross Country hosts Alumni Meethttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/men-s-cross-country-hosts-alumni-meet-3/45627St. Peter, Minn.|
|noon to 2 pm||Volleyball vs. Westminster College (UW-Platteville Tournament)https://gustavus.edu/calendar/volleyball-vs-westminster-college-uw-platteville-tournament/44886Platteville, Wis.|
|1 pm||Women's Soccer at Wartburg Collegehttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/women-s-soccer-at-wartburg-college/45212Waverly, Iowa|
|7 pm||Football at Crown Collegehttps://gustavus.edu/calendar/football-at-crown-college/44578St. Bonifacius, Minn.|
Last week by Al Behrends
From Fine Arts
Last week by CJ Siewert
Last week by Tim Kennedy
From News » First
2 weeks ago by Al Behrends
From Fine Arts » Music
2 weeks ago by Nick Hoelmer
2 weeks ago by CJ Siewert
3 weeks ago by CJ Siewert
3 weeks ago by Nick Hoelmer
From News » Second
3 weeks ago by Karena Baldwin '17
From News » Third
Last month by Nick Hoelmer
Last month by Al Behrends
From Fine Arts » Music
Last month by Al Behrends
From Fine Arts » Music
2 months ago by Al Behrends
From Fine Arts
3 months ago by Matt Thomas '00
3 months ago by Matt Thomas '00
From News » Fourth
Inside Gustavus is a newsletter for Gustavus Adolphus College employees produced by the Office of Marketing and Communication. It is published weekly during the academic year (except during the week of Thanksgiving, the Christmas break, Touring Week, and the Spring and Easter breaks). Anyone may submit items by filling out an online submission form. While online submissions are preferred, items may also be submitted typewritten on a letter-sized sheet of paper. Send "snail mail" items to: Inside Gustavus, Office of Marketing and Communication. Items must reach the office no later than 4:30 p.m. on the Tuesday before publication. For more information, contact Matt Thomas (email@example.com or x7510).