Outdoor Volleyball Rules
1. A maximum of six players is permitted on the sand. In coed there must be an equal number of men and women. A team may play with fewer than six players, but there must be an equal number of men and women in coed.
2. Substitutions may be made between games or a team may elect to rotate players in at the serving position prior to the serve. In coed a man must replace a man and a woman a woman.
3. Serving rotation will alternate male-female in coed.
4. Before each serve, server must yell out the score. Server should say their score first, then the opposing teams score.
5. Three hits are permitted per side. In coed, if all three hits are taken at least one must be taken by each gender.
6. A game consists of 15 points and a team must win by two points. A team must win two of three games to win the match.
7. A player who carries, holds, double hits, etc. should call out the violation. A point or side-out is awarded. Only the team that serves can score a point.
8. A ball that falls on any part of the pit is good.
9. No player may touch the net or reach over to block a ball. The ball must be midway over the net provided he or she does not touch the net.
10. If a team does not appear within 10 minutes of the scheduled time, they will forfeit.
11. All protests will be handled on the field by the team captains and the IM sport manager.
12. Teams will referee their own games.
13. Standard volleyball rules will be in effect where applicable.
14. If a team forfeits twice they will not be eligible for the post-season tournament. The ranking for the post season tournament will go as follows:
1. win-loss record
2. team with least forfeits
3. head to head competitions between teams that are tied
4. record against teams that are above you
5. record against #1 team
6. coin toss