Campus Progress: Mattson Hall

Among the departments that had to vacate Old Main while the major renovation project was in process, two will not return to the building when renovation is completed. The education and nursing departments have been relocated to a newly erected Mattson Hall, which is sited just west of the Schaefer Fine Arts Center and Prairie View Residence Hall, on the south side of the campus. Mattson Hall, named in honor of former College President Mattson, during whose tenure (1904–1911) the education department became part of the College after starting in 1893 as a separate “normal” school affiliated more closely with the academy, will be home to education and nursing faculty and classes until a new social science center is built at some point in the future.

ExteriorMattson photo