Why we don't like special purpose accounts
Here is a (partial) list of reasons special purpose accounts are a bad idea unless you really need to use one.
Here are some reasons they are bad for the system/systems administrators:
- They are more work to set up.
- They cost more to maintain.
- They are usually only used for a limited time, but nobody ever tells us they are done with them.
- Several users must know the same password which is bad for security of the system.
- If someone who has access to the account leaves the college the password must be changed.
Here are some reasons they are bad for the users:
- You need to check another e-mail account.
- You need to remember another password.
- You need to learn a new password everytime someone who knows the password leaves the college.
- If two people try to access the account at the same time, there may be "unexepected results."