Openoffice.org is a free office software packaged by the Apache Foundation, with versions for Windows PCs, Macs, and Linux computers. Many of its products are similar to products available in the Microsoft Office package. It is discontinued, and no longer actively developed. See LibreOffice
- Writer (similar to Microsoft Word)
- Calc (similar to Microsoft Excel)
- Impress (similar to Microsoft PowerPoint)
- Draw (illustrations)
- Base (databases)
- Openoffice.org can be downloaded for free online, at http://openoffice.org/.
Converting files to Microsoft Office formats
By default, Openoffice.org uses different file formats than Microsoft Office products. If you want to share a document with a Microsoft Office user, you will need to save your files in a compatible format. This example shows how to convert files from Writer to Microsoft Word formats on a Linux computer. The process should be nearly identical on a Windows PC or Mac.
- From the file menu, choose "Save as..."
- Choose the format you want to save the file as. For Microsoft Word, the "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc)" should work.
- Save the file.