Openoffice.org is a free office software package by Sun Microsystems, with versions for Windows PCs, Macs, and Linux computers. Many of its products are similar to products available in the Microsoft Office package.
- Writer (similar to Microsoft Word)
- Calc (similar to Microsoft Excel)
- Impress (similar to Microsoft PowerPoint)
- Draw (illustrations)
- Base (databases)
- Openoffice.org can be downloaded for free online, at http://openoffice.org/.
Converting files to Microsoft Office formats
By default, Openoffice.org uses different file formats than Microsoft Office products. If you want to share a document with a Microsoft Office user, you will need to save your files in a compatible format. This example shows how to convert files from Writer to Microsoft Word formats on a Linux computer. The process should be nearly identical on a Windows PC or Mac.
- From the file menu, choose "Save as..."
- Choose the format you want to save the file as. For Microsoft Word, the "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc)" should work.
- Save the file.