Teacher Licensure

Recommendation for Licensure

On this page, you’ll find some information about the process and tests for teacher licensure in the state of Minnesota. The Education Department will help you through all of these steps, and you can always ask for help from the professors or email g-placementcoordinator@gustavus.edu.
For licensure, you need to pass a basic skills test (usually your ACT plus writing score), MTLE tests (Minnesota Teacher Licensure Exam), and the edTPA. Some more information about the specific tests is offered in the sidebars.

Licensure to teach in the public schools of Minnesota will be recommended by the department and the Registrar at Gustavus to the Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board upon completion of all program requirements. Elementary majors who complete the program successfully are recommended for a K–6 All Subjects license and a 5–8 Single Subject Endorsement if the 5-8 requirements in a specific content area are completed. Secondary Education Program students who successfully complete the program are recommended for either a 5–12 license, a 9-12, or a K–12 license, depending on the specific subject area. Candidates must complete all state licensure tests and requirements, including the edTPA, to be recommended for licensure. In the event that a graduating student is not recommended for licensure, the student may appeal to an Academic Dean, who will ask for a written statement from both the student and the Gustavus Department of Education prior to rendering a decision. The Dean’s decision will be final. The student may appeal an institutional decision to the Minnesota Board of Teaching. (MN Statute 122A.09, Subdivision 4c). In addition to the appeal, students who are not recommended still have ways to graduate such as their content area as a major ( secondary ed), or a major in Elementary Education Studies.


Preparation for Graduate Study

Gustavus graduates who qualify for teacher licensure in Minnesota are also eligible for graduate study in education. Teacher licensure and experience are usually required for graduate study in school administration, school counseling, and special education. Consult Education staff for particulars.