Love Your Library, Leave No Trace: Food & Drink Guidelines
Leave No Trace
Leave No Trace. The library has adapted the following Leave No Trace principles of outdoor ethics to its food and drink policy*:
- Plan ahead and prepare: When possible, plan to eat your meals before you come to the library. If you do carry in snacks or drinks, try to avoid messy foods that may damage library material and facilities, and bring drinks in appropriate containers. Be aware of the food and drink guidelines and exceptions.
- Dispose of waste properly: Make sure to place recyclables in recycling bins and non-recyclable garbage in trash cans.
- Leave what you find: Leave library resources, furnishings, and equipment as you found them--or in better condition than you found them.
- Be considerate of other visitors: Respect the next library user and the next generation of library users.
Goals. We established our food and drink guidelines with the following goals in mind:
- To promote recycling of appropriate food and drink packaging.
- To preserve our library collections and protect our facility from pests and harmful molds.
- To help to ensure the health and safety of all library users and a long life for library collections, furnishings, and equipment.
- To respect our hard-working custodial staff by taking responsibility for our personal behavior.
- To allow us to direct library funds to purchasing library materials that support the curriculum, rather than to replacing resources, furnishings, and equipment damaged by food and drink.
Guidelines. Food and drink are allowed in the library subject to the following guidelines and exceptions:
- Deposit all recyclable food and drink packaging in the recycling bins located throughout the library.
- Deposit all non-recyclable food and drink garbage in the trash receptables located throughout the library.
- Pack it in, pack it out: carry out any non-disposable dishes, silverware, etc., that you bring into the library.
- Bring drinks in covered, spill-proof containers or capped bottles.
- If you must dispose of beverages, pour liquids into the bathroom sink before recycling or throwing away the containers.
- Place food and drink garbage in trash cans carefully to avoid splattering food and drink on the walls and library materials.
- Report accidental spills to library staff as soon as possible.
Exceptions. Food and drink are prohibited in certain areas:
- Food and drink are not allowed at any of the computer workstations throughout the library.
- Food and drink are not permitted in either of the library's e-classrooms.
- Food is not allowed in library student employee work areas. Beverages are allowed in covered containers.
These guidelines are endorsed by the Gustavus Greens and the Student Senate.
Love Your Library ~ Leave No Trace
*For more information on Leave No Trace principles, visit the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics website: http://www.lnt.org/main.html.