Postal Services offers letter and package mail delivery through the following providers. Descriptions of the services offered and directions on how to prepare and send mail are given for each provider.
The majority of domestic mail is sent first class. Postal Services can provide users with all delivery services offered by the U.S. Postal Service, with the exception of Registered Mail. Go to the Rates button on the Postal Services homepage to view current rates.
Priority Mail is available for packages weighing up to 70 pounds, with delivery within 2–3 days. Postal Services has envelopes and stickers available to identify mail as a Priority piece.
Express Mail is the fastest service and guarantees delivery, Saturdays and some holidays included. The item will be delivered by either noon or 3 p.m. the next day, depending on the destination. Certain remote destinations have 2nd day service only.
When a Saturday delivery is needed, USPS Express Mail is the most economical option. No extra fee is charged for Saturday delivery, as with other carriers.
Express Mail envelopes, boxes, and mailing labels are available from Postal Services.
Express mail must be at the College Post Office by 3:30 p.m. each business day. There is no outgoing weekend service from the College Post Office USPS.
Specialized Mailing Options
- Certified Mail is available only for First Class and Priority Mail. It gives the sender a receipt for mailing the item. A record of delivery is kept by the USPS. A return receipt can also be purchased to provide the sender proof of delivery. International mail cannot be certified, but can be sent as Registered Mail. No insurance is provided, but can be purchased.
- Registered Mail is available for First Class and Priority Mail. Registered Mail is placed under tight security from mailing to delivery. Return receipt, restricted delivery and insurance can be purchased on the item. The indemnity level for international Registered Mail is very limited. Registered mail must be processed from the USPS. This service is not available at the College Post Office.
- Return Receipts can be purchased for Express Mail, Certified, Registered, or insured mail. It shows who signed for the item and when, and the address delivered to if the original address was incorrect.
- Insurance is available for Standard Mail or Standard Mail sent at First Class or Priority status. Maximum coverage is $5000. On items insured for more than $50, the recipient signs a receipt of delivery, which is kept by the USPS
The College contracts with UPS for ground and express shipments. Postal Services has supplies, available for UPS shipments.
Packages can be insured for up to $50,000. The shipping cost includes $100 of insurance, with an additional charge for each additional $100 of coverage desired.
Shipments to residential addresses incur an additional charge, based on weight and location for ground shipments.
Shipments sent by UPS ground service to commercial addresses have a guaranteed delivery date of between 1 and 5 days and can be tracked on-line. This method of shipment is the most economical. UPS picks up packages from Postal Services at 10:00 a.m. Monday–Friday.
Departments should take UPS shipments to the mailroom for processing. Shipments for individuals can be processed at the College Post Office main window.
- Next Day Air provides overnight service to all addresses within the 50 states and Puerto Rico. Documents and packages up to 150 pounds can be shipped, using either UPS-provided packaging or the customer's own. Delivery is guaranteed by 10:30 a.m., noon, or end of the next business day, depending on location.
- Saturday delivery is available with Next-Day Air, but an additional $10.00 charge for each package is added to the shipping cost.
- Second Day Air guarantees delivery to every U.S. and Puerto Rican address by the afternoon of the 2nd day. The cost can be substantially less than overnight service.
- UPS also offers Next Day Early a.m. service, with delivery guaranteed by 8 a.m. to major cities in the lower 48 states, and Sonic Air Best Flight service, with delivery between 4 and 8 hours after pick-up. Call Postal Services to check on rates and availability of service. Additional charges apply. UPS also offers International Express shipments. See a staff person from Postal Services to assist you with international requests.
UPS pick-up times
UPS pick-up at the mailroom is at 10:00 a.m. weekdays. There is no weekend service from the College Post Office.
If a package arrives at its destination with damaged contents, or if an express letter or package arrives after its guaranteed delivery time, contact Postal Services (933-7599) to initiate a claim. UPS considers Postal Services to be the sender for all items shipped using the College's account number and requires Postal Services to be the initiator of all claims.
The College contracts with FedEx for domestic express services. Postal Services electronically labels all FedEx packages. FedEx packaging materials are available for FedEx shipments. Items to be sent by FedEx must be at the Campus Post Office by 3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
FedEx offers the following levels of domestic service:
- First Overnight — delivery to major U.S. cities by 8 a.m. the next business day. An additional charge applies.
- Priority Overnight — delivery of packages up to 150 pounds to most U.S. addresses by 10:30 a.m. (noon or 4:30 p.m. to other areas) the next business day. Saturday delivery is available for an extra charge.
- Standard Overnight — guaranteed delivery by 3 p.m. to most U.S. addresses of packages up to 150 pounds (4:30 p.m. to other addresses).
- 2 Day — for packages up to 150 pounds, delivery by 4:30 p.m. the second business day to most commercial addresses.
FedEx pick-up times
Fed Ex pick-up at the College Post Office is 3:30 p.m. weekdays. There is no weekend service from the College Post Office.