We Can Assist You
Community Based Service and Learning
The Center for Servant Leadership’s Community-Based Service and Learning Program provides opportunities, resources, and support for faculty members interested in pursuing a community-based approach to their teaching. Here are the ways we can assist!
Find CBL Opportunities
- Access Get Connected, to identify volunteer opportunities and community agencies in Nicollet, Le Seuer, and Blue Earth counties.
- Ask us to help you identify community organizations relevant to the academic goals and learning objectives of your course. (2-3 months in advance for best results).
Access CBL Resources
- Community-Engaged Faculty Resources – Moodle, contact Jeffrey Rathlef for access.
- National Campus Compact
- Minnesota Campus Compact
- Civic Leadership Institute Online
Access Direct Staff Support
CBSL staff work with faculty on an individual basis that best suits their particular needs and interests. The CBSL staff can provide direct support in the following ways:
- Arrange volunteer placements in identified agencies.
- Serve as liaison to community partners and help coordinate engagement activities.
- Assist with logistical coordination and transportation in support of projects.
- Offer assistance and support for community-based learning course design and development.
- Conduct in-class pre-engagement trainings and orientations.
- Recommend reflection strategies, activities, and resources.
- Assist with facilitation of reflection sessions and support discussions in and out of classroom.
- Support risk-management associated with community engagement activities.
- Conduct evaluations to assess degrees of perceived benefit of projects and partnerships.
- Provide access to online assessments and assist in analyzing your outcomes.
- Provide additional customized support per your needs and interests.
For all inquiries please contact Jeffrey Rathlef, Director for Community-Based Service & Learning, firstname.lastname@example.org, (507) 933-6011 in the Gustavus Adolphus College Center for Servant Leadership.