Jeff Rossow '12
Name: Jeff Rossow
Graduating Class: 2012
Your Story: My name is Jeff Rossow. I graduated from Gustavus in May 2012; biology major. I have lived my entire life in Saint Peter, MN.
I chose Gustavus because I knew that I wanted to attend a small liberal arts college that would offer a quality education. I visited several institutions and felt like Gustavus exceeded my expectations and that it was the best fit for me. I am very happy with my decision.
My interest in pre-medicine started in high school. I have always been a “people person” and I believe that working in medicine is a great opportunity to help others on a daily basis. I have also enjoyed science courses for years and thought I could incorporate my science background while working as a physician. While at Gustavus, I have had various health field experiences, but I believe that it was my career exploration I took in January during my sophomore year that confirmed that I wanted to be a doctor. The experience consisted of shadowing eight different professions in the medical field. At the end of the month, I was confident that pre-medicine was the path for me. (Pre-Health January Career Exploration applications available in CSL-Career Development).
Top Five Activities/Experiences:
- I raised money for the Special Olympics and took the Polar Bear Plunge. It was a lot of fun.
- I volunteer in the Emergency Department in Mankato which is a great way to get some experience in the health field.
- Research in Seattle at the Fred Hutchinson Research Center was a great experience and a chance to experience another part of the country.
- Intramural sports with friends are very fun.
- I have many great memories from a road trip with I took with friends to Glacier National Park in Montana.
- I recommend that people begin their application process early. It is advantageous to have your application in early and it would be nice to be able to begin planning for the next year. It takes months to find out from schools about admittance. I wish I had done so earlier.
- Meet with Heather Banks early on in your time at Gustavus. She is full of good advice and is very helpful for people who are considering anything regarding a profession in the health field.
- The four years at Gustavus go by quickly. While it is important to work hard and earn good grades while being actively involved on campus, remember to take time to enjoy yourself. I had a great four years, and encourage other pre-med students to make sure to find time to have fun.
Future Plans: Attending University of Minnesota-Duluth Medical School, starting Fall 2012.