Mayo Clinic Emergency Department Volunteer Program
Gustavus has a partnership with the Mayo Clinic Emergency Department in Mankato to offer students the opportunity to serve as a volunteer.
The primary role of the Emergency Department volunteer is to improve the patient experience. This might include organizing magazines in the front lobby, greeting the visitors and patients in a friendly and helpful manner, keeping blanket warmers stocked with blankets or helping patients decide on what they would like to eat.
Successful ED volunteers are friendly, out-going, self-motivated, show initiative and can work well independently in an environment with little supervision. The ED can be extremely chaotic and hectic, but other times can be quiet and uneventful. A successful volunteer is able to thrive in both environments.
This is NOT a shadowing and observation opportunity. The volunteer is observing and working in the medical environment, but the role of the volunteer is to improve the patient experience. See attached volunteer position description.
1. Cumulative grade point average of at least 3.2.
2. Sophomore, junior or senior standing, juniors and seniors are particularly encouraged to apply.
3. Good standing with the College and not on any type of College probation.
4. Completed application and one-page statement submitted by, April 1st.
5. Willing and able to commit to three-hour shift per week (no shift during college breaks, finals or January)
Summer and/or Academic Year shifts available:
Friday, 4pm-7pm and 8pm-11pm
Saturday, 4pm-7pm and 8pm-11pm
Sunday, 4pm-7pm and 8pm-11pm
Monday, 4pm-7pm and 8pm-11pm
6. Attend a Mayo Clinic Orientation
7. Provide your own transportation to the Mayo Clinic Health System, Mankato Emergency Department
Updated 6/20/14 HB