Important things you should know before you take the placement test
- You will not fulfill the language requirement by taking the placement test. This is an exam to place into Spanish courses only. If you wish to prove equivalency, you should take the equivalency test.
- You may complete the placement exam from any computer that has Internet access.
- The language placement test can only be taken ONCE for the same language.
- You do not need to study for this test. Doing so, will result in your incorrect placement.
- Please know that you will not know all the answers since the exam covers all language levels. Simply answer the questions to the best of your knowledge.
- You must do the exam by yourself and must not use a dictionary or any other help as it will skew your score, resulting in incorrect placement.
- The exam is timed. Answer to the best of your knowledge and plan well so you are able to complete it without interruptions.
- It will be scored immediately and will let you know what course to register for. (Attention First-Year Students!: No tests will be given on campus June 30 - July 2. If you would like to take a language course your first semester, please take the online placement exam at least one week in advance of speaking with an advisor to register--whether by phone or on campus.
- If you have 3 years of language experience in high school, you will not be able to register at the 101 level no matter what the language placement test results are. You must take the placement exam and register at the 102 level or above according to placement score. Please know that your transcript will be checked against the class list during the first week of class. If you have more than three years of high school course work, you will be removed from the class rolls. Warning: You will need to add a course to be sure you have full-time status.
- Contact Jenny Tollefson if you experience technical difficulties and are unable to complete the exam. She can also answer questions about computer access, the exam, and exam results.
- With any other questions or concerns about placement please e-mail both Dr. Ana Adams and Dr. María Isabel Kalbermatten.
Instructions for accessing the Placement Exam for Spanish
The placement exam is only for placing/entering into language courses. If you are looking into testing out, please refer to the Equivalency Exam page.
- Open your web browser and set your location to or click on this link: http://webcape.byuhtrsc.org/nwcregister.php?acct=gac
- Type in the password: gusties1 (number one)
- Follow the instructions (identify yourself with your full legal name and ID number)
- Click FINISH after you have completed the exam.
- Send a copy of the results to your email and archive it in a save folder for reference during your college career.