Link to print-friendly version|
|Resources for Scandinavian Studies|
Scandinavian studies is an interdisciplinary approach to various aspects of Nordic life and culture. Research in this field may take many forms and might involve sources in Scandinavian languages. This guide is a place to begin; please don't hesitate to ask a librarian for further suggestions.
Table of Contents:
Indexes and Databases
- Index Nordicus: a Cumulative Index to English-Language Periodicals on Scandinavian Studies
Covers 1911-1976 for the following English-language periodicals: Cooperation and Conflict, Scandinavian Economic History Review, Scandinavian Political Studies, Scandinavian Studies, and Scandinavia.
Location(s): Ref DL 1 .K85
- Dictionary of Scandinavian History
Includes over 400 entries dealing with the history of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden since 1000 A.D.
Location(s): Ref DL43 .D53 1985
- Dictionary of Scandinavian Literature
Contains articles about major writers and topics. Each entry concludes with bibliographies, including lists of each author's works, translations, and critical sources.
Location(s): Ref PT 7063 .D5 1990
- Finnish Features
Well illustrated and constantly updated fact sheets produced by the Finnish information service. Excellent for current, concise information.
Location(s): Ref DL 1122 .F566
- Encyclopedia of the Viking Age
Illustrated, with a subject index, chronology, monarchs, and bibliography.
Location(s): Ref DL 65 .H388 2000
- Historical Dictionary of Finland
A handbook with brief articles on all aspects of Finnish culture and history, including significant people, places, events, and institutions.
Location(s): Ref DL 1007 .M38 2007
- Medieval Scandinavia: An Encyclopedia
Covers Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Sweden, and Finland from the Migration Period to the Reformation.
Location(s): Ref DL 30 .M43 1993
- National Atlas of Sweden
Describes geography, population, environment, industry, and culture.
Location(s): Ref G 2070 .N3
- Nordic Statistical Yearbook
Vols. for 1997- have accompanying CD called: Nordic Statistics
Location(s): Ref HA 146 .Y4 (older volumes are shelved in the general collections)
- The Saami: A Cultural Encyclopedia
Suomaliaisen Kirjallisuuden SKS
A handbook with brief articles on all aspects of the indigenous Saami (sometimes spelled Sami) culture of northern Scandinavia and the Kola peninsula.
Location(s): Ref DL 1020 .L35 2005
- The following national dictionaries contain dictionary entries and additional information, such as chronologies, place names, bibliographies, and monarchs.
- Historical Dictionary of Denmark (Ref DL105 .T46 1998)
- Historical Dictionary of Finland (Ref DL1007 .M38 1995)
- Historical Dictionary of Iceland (Ref DL338 .G82 1997)
- Historical Dictionary of Sweden (Ref DL643 .S37 1995)
- MnPALS Plus
The online catalog to the library at Gustavus Adolphus College. Choose "All Libraries" in the search options to search other MnPALS libraries (such as Minnesota State schools) and request books through Interlibrary Loan. View our MnPALS Plus tutorial.
Browsing for Books
- Limiting MnPALS Searches by Language
You may limit MnPALS searches by language: from the Advanced Search screen, go to "Limit search to" section, and select a language from the "Language" drop-down menu.
Books are shelved in general subject categories using the Library of Congress classification system. You may want to supplement your use of the catalog with browsing shelf areas for your topic. Below is a brief listing of some of the subject locations in the field of Scandinavian studies.
Books are shelved in general subject categories using the Library of Congress classification system. You may want to supplement your use of the catalog with browsing shelf areas for your topic. Below is a brief listing of some of the subject locations in the field of Scandinavian Studies.
- BL-BX Religion
- BL 860 Norse mythology
- BR 970-1019 History of Christianity--Scandinavia
- BX 8001-8080 Lutheran Church
- D History: General and Old World
- DK 445-465 Finland
- DL 1002-1180 Finland
- DL Scandinavia
- E-F History: America
- E 184 .S23 Swedes in the U.S.
- E 184 .S2 Norwegians in the U.S.
- E 184 .S19 Danes in the U.S.
- E 184 .F5 Finns in the U.S.
- E 184 .I3 Icelanders in the U.S.
- G Geography, Anthropology, Recreation
- G 2050-2079 Atlases
- GR 200-201.2 Folk-lore -- Finland
- GR 205-226 Folk-lore -- Scandinavia
- H Social Sciences
- HC 341-380 Economic history and conditions
- HN 540-580 Social history and conditions
- J Political Science
- JN 7001-7995 Constitutional histories
- JV 8198-8229 Emigration and immigration
- L Education
- LF 4451-4607 Individual institutions in Scandinavia
- LY PZ 50-60.8 Scandinavian children's literature
- M Music
- ML 513-516 History and criticism
- P Languages and Literatures
- PD Scandinavian languages; includes dictionaries
- PH Finnish literature and language
- PT Scandinavian literature
Print journals are housed in the periodicals collection on the first floor of the library.
- Historisk Tidskrift (Swedish)
- Historisk tidskrift för Finland
- Historisk Tidsskrift (Denmark)
- Historisk Tidsskrift (Norway)
- Nordic Reach
- Scandinavian Economic History Review
- Scandinavian Review
- Scandinavian Studies
- Swedish American Historical Quarterly
Photo Credits (L to R)
- Sweden and America
dalavatnet #3 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/garibaldi/247316145/
Scandinavia united - http://www.flickr.com/photos/pricey/1172533058/
Gustavus Adolphus - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmarkbertrand/277479387/
Page Coordinator: Anna Hulseberg email@example.com
This URL: http://gustavus.edu/academics/library/libdata_pos/page.phtml?page_id=78