Back to Resources for Majors and Courses|
Link to print-friendly version
Information Resources and Services for:
GLO 2011-12: Circumpolar Year
Table of Contents:
Gustavus Global Insight
The library is pleased to provide this resource guide in support of the Gustavus Global Insight program. This guide is a starting place, don't hesitate to contact a librarian if you need further assistance.
- Atlas of Russia and the Independent Republics
Simon & Schuster
This atlas examines the former Soviet Union on a region-by-region and country-by-country basis. A combination of text and maps describe the fifteen emerging (or reemerging) states as independent entities.
Location(s): Ref G2110 .B7 1994
- Atlas of Russian History
Oxford University Press
Surveying more than 2,000 years of Russian history, this atlas presents maps on a range of topics. There are insightful examinations of rebellion and exile, famine, the anarchists of Russia, the Revolution, Lenin's return to Russia, and the early years of Communism.
Location(s): Ref G2111 .S1 G52 1993
- Dictionary of Scandinavian History
Includes over 400 entries dealing with the history of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden since 1000 A.D.
Location(s): Ref DL43 .D53 1985
- Dictionary of Scandinavian Literature
Contains articles about major writers and topics. Each entry concludes with bibliographies, including lists of each author's works, translations, and critical sources.
Location(s): Ref PT 7063 .D5 1990
- Encyclopedia of Global Warming and Climate Change
This 3-volume set contains over 750 articles covering the science and history of climate change, the polarizing controversies over climate-change theories, the role of societies, the industrial and economic factors, and the sociological aspects of climate change.
Location(s): Ref QC981.8.G56 E47 2008
- Encyclopedia of the Arctic
Covers the physical and cultural geography of the arctic, including ecology and the environment, economics, history and archaeology, oceanography, peoples, and politics.
Location(s): Ref G 606 .E49 2005
- Encyclopedia of the Viking Age
Illustrated, with a subject index, chronology, monarchs, and bibliography.
Location(s): Ref DL 65 .H388 2000
- Finnish Features
Well illustrated and constantly updated fact sheets produced by the Finnish information service. Excellent for current, concise information.
Location(s): Ref DL 1122 .F566
- Historical Atlas of Canada : with original maps
University of California Press
This atlas covers a period of a thousand years and contains essentially all the historically significant maps of the country.
Location(s): Ref G1526 .S1 H3 2007
- Historical Atlas of the Arctic
Douglas & McIntyre
The almost 200 historical maps that this atlas contains, many never before reproduced, illustrate all the significant Arctic explorations from the sixteenth century until well into the twentieth. Readable yet scholarly text informs the maps.
Location(s): Ref G1056 .S12 H39 2003
- Historical Dictionary of Denmark
2nd ed. edition
This dictionary includes a chronology, an introductory essay, appendixes, a bibliography, and hundreds of cross-referenced dictionary entries on kings, politicians, artists, scientists, reformers, social movements, and other aspects of Danish society.
Location(s): Ref DL105 .T46 2009
- Historical Dictionary of Finland
A handbook with brief articles on all aspects of Finnish culture and history, including significant people, places, events, and institutions.
Location(s): Ref DL 1007 .M38 2007
- Historical Dictionary of Iceland
This dictionary contains a detailed chronology, notes on the Icelandic language, a listing of abbreviations and acronyms, an introduction which highlights important events in Icelandic history, and a bibliography of titles to assist the interested researcher in learning more about this country.
Location(s): Ref DL338 .G82 1997
- Historical Dictionary of Sweden
2nd ed. edition
This dictionary provides information ranging from politics to economics, from education to religion, and from music to literature. It contains a chronology, a list of acronyms and abbreviations, an introductory essay, a bibliography, and appendixes.
Location(s): Ref DL643 .S37 2006
- Medieval Scandinavia: An Encyclopedia
Covers Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Sweden, and Finland from the Migration Period to the Reformation.
Location(s): Ref DL 30 .M43 1993
- National Atlas of Sweden
Describes geography, population, environment, industry, and culture.
Location(s): Ref G 2070 .N3
- Nordic Statistical Yearbook
Vols. for 1997- have accompanying CD called: Nordic Statistics
Location(s): Ref HA 146 .Y4 (older volumes are shelved in the general collections)
Browsing for Books
- The Saami: A Cultural Encyclopedia
Suomaliaisen Kirjallisuuden SKS
A handbook with brief articles on all aspects of the indigenous Saami (sometimes spelled Sami) culture of northern Scandinavia and the Kola peninsula.
Location(s): Ref DL 1020 .L35 2005
Books are shelved in general subject categories using the Library of Congress classification system. You may want to supplement your use of the catalog with browsing shelf areas for your topic. Below is a brief listing of some of the call number areas relating to the topic.
- G 1054-1055 Geography (Polar Regions, Atlases)
- QC 981-QH105 Climate Change and Global Warming
- Canada (Northern):
- F 1004-1140 History
- G 1115-(1193) Geography (Atlases)
- JL 15-195 Political Science
- DL 1002-1180 History
- G 1791-2196 Geography (Europe, Atlases)
- JN 7390-7399 Political Science
- G 1110-1114 Geography (Atlases)
- JN 7370-7379 Political Science
- DL 401-596 History
- G 1791-2196 Geography (Europe, Atlases)
- JN 7401-7695 Political Science
- DK 3-4800 History
- G 2110-2196 Geography (Atlases)
- JA 84 and JN 6503-6699 Political Science
- DL 601-1000 History
- G 1791-2196 Geography (Europe, Atlases)
- JN 7721-7995 Political Science
Indexes and Databases
For more information and additional suggestions, see the Databases Guide for Geography.
- Academic Search Premier
The world's largest academic multi-disciplinary database, Academic Search Premier indexes nearly 8,050 publications and provides full text for nearly 4,600, including more than 3,500 peer-reviewed journals. Coverage also includes many newspapers and popular magazines and spans virtually every area of academic study since 1975. Updated daily. Access is provided by the Electronic Library for Minnesota (ELM). View our Academic Search Premier tutorial.
1975-present; updated daily
American Anthropological Association
Full-text archive of 32 scholarly journals published by the American Anthropological Association (AAA), most dating back to the first issue and about half continuing to the present. This is the premier online resource serving the research, teaching, and professional needs of anthropologists, and covers physical anthropology, cultural or social anthropology, linguistic anthropology, and archaeology.
varies; most from 1970s-present
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (Web of Knowledge)
A multidisciplinary index covering the journal literature of the arts and humanities. This index fully covers 1,144 of the world's leading arts and humanities journals, and also includes some individually selected, relevant items from over 6,800 major science and social science journals. Some of the disciplines covered include archaeology, linguistics, art, literature, music, philosophy, dance, history, religion and theater.
1997-present; updated weekly
- ATLA Religion Database & ATLA Serials
A comprehensive research database in the fields of religion and theology produced by the American Theological Library Association. Includes bibliographic citations and abstracts to journal articles from over 1,500 titles, citations to essays and book chapters, book reviews, and Doctor of Ministry projects. Many journal articles and book reviews are also available in full text.
1949-present; updated quarterly
- Business Source Premier
Full-text coverage to more than 2,800 scholarly journals and trade publications in business, economics, political science and public administration. Selected Datamonitor company reports and EIU country documents are also available. Access is provided by the Electronic Library for Minnesota (ELM).
Columbia International Affairs Online contains references to working papers, conference proceedings, journals, books, policy briefs, economic indicators, and more, from 1991 to the present. The database focuses on theory and research in international affairs.
1991-present; updated monthly
The EconLit database, produced by the Journal of Economic Literature, includes subject indexing and abstracts to 685 journals, books, dissertations, and working papers in the field of economics and allied disciplines.
1969-present; updated monthly
ERIC is the major index to literature in education. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education, it provides full citations and abstracts for journal articles, books, curricula, government documents, dissertations, and research reports selected by the Institute of Education Sciences (IES). ERIC citations date from 1966 to the present, and full text is available for many research reports. You may limit your search to show only results with free full text.
1966-present; updated monthly
GeoRefS contains citations to nearly 2 million records about geology and earth sciences. It is international in scope, and citations date from 1785 to the present.
1785-present; updated twice monthly
Full-text backfiles to over 350 scholarly journals from more than 25 academic disciplines published between the 19th and 21st centuries in the JSTOR Arts & Sciences I, Arts & Sciences II, and Language & Literature collections. JSTOR provides complete journal backruns from the date of initial publication up to a "moving wall" of 3 to 5 years before the present year. To limit your search to full text articles, make sure that the option to "include links to external content" is turned off.
- LexisNexis Academic
Search current news, business information (including business news and corporate financials), and legal news and information. International news sources are also included.
Coverage varies by title; mostly 1980s-present
- LexisNexis Country Profiles
Search for news and research reports on a particular country; includes includes some of the most comprehensive sources of political, economic and socio-demographic information.
- MLA International Bibliography
The major research resource for information on English literature, foreign languages and linguistics. Includes references to scholarly articles, books, book chapters, book reviews, and dissertations; coverage dates back to the 1920's.
1923-present; updated 9 times yearly
- Public Affairs Index
Covers global contemporary public policy issues, ranging from public health, the environment, housing, human and civil rights, to international conflict and natural disasters. Draws on scholarly publications, conference papers, government documents and reference works.
1972-present; updated weekly
- Project MUSE
Project MUSE provides full text electronic access to over 100 scholarly journals in humanities, the social sciences, and mathematics. Topics covered include literary theory; classics; history and cultural studies; philosophy; film, theatre and the performing arts; political science and mathematics.
Citations and abstracts to articles from more than 1300 international journals in psychology and related fields, going back to 1840. This database covers all areas of psychology, including experimental, developmental, communications, social processes and issues, personality, physical and psychological disorders, professional issues, applied psychology, educational psychology, and behavioral literature in such related fields as law, business and medicine. Also includes citations for books and book chapters.
- RILM Abstracts of Music Literature
RILM Abstracts of Music Literature indexes over 500 scholarly sources on music and related disciplines, including historical musicology, ethnomusicology, instruments and voice, dance, music therapy, music librarianship, the physics of music, and other fields as they relate to music. The majority of citations include abstracts.
1967-present; updated monthly
- SAGE Premier
Search the full text to over 500 scholarly journals published by SAGE in a range of disciplines, including many social sciences titles. Many journals include full backfiles - back to 1960s or earlier. To search articles by discipline, click on the "Browse" tab, then click on the "Articles by Discipline" tab.
Journals, Magazines, and Newspapers
- SPORTDiscus with Full Text
The world's most comprehensive bibliographic resource for all aspects of sport and fitness. Contains bibliographic references to international practical and research literature in sport, physical fitness, active living, and physical education. This database contains over 650,000 records with journal and monograph coverage going back to 1800. It provides full text for more than 440 journals indexed in SPORTDiscus.
1800-present; updated monthly
- The American-Scandinavian Review - available from 1913-1973 in print at the GAC Bernadotte Library Periodicals- Lower Level
- The Canadian Historical Review - available from 1989-present in Academic Search Premier
- Russian Life - available from 1993-present in print at the GAC Bernadotte Library Periodicals- Lower Level
- Scandia - available from 1931-1986 and from 2004-present in print at the GAC Bernadotte Library Periodicals- Lower Level
- The Scandinavian Economic History Review - available from 1953-present in print at the GAC Bernadotte Library Periodicals- Lower Level
- The Scandinavian Journal of History - available from 1976-2009 in print at the GAC Bernadotte Library Periodicals- Lower Level and from 1998-present in Academic Search Premier
- Scandinavian Political Studies - available from 1999-present in Academic Search Premier
- Scandinavian Review - available from 1975-present in print at the GAC Bernadotte Library Periodicals- Lower Level
- Scandinavia Studies - available from 1941-present in print at the GAC Bernadotte Library Periodicals- Lower Level
- Slavic Review - available from 1990-present in print at the GAC Bernadotte Library Periodicals- Lower Level and in Academic Search Premier
- Urban History Review. Revue d'histoire urbaine - available from 1987-2000 in print at the GAC Bernadotte Library Periodicals- Lower Level
The library's Audio Visual collection includes many films about the circumpolar countries. A few sample titles are listed below. Use the library's catalog to identify more (using keywords like Arctic, Scandinavia, Russia, for example, and limiting by collection to Audio Visual).
- Fire and Ice the winter war of Finland and Russia (Audiovisual DL 1097 .F67 2005)
- Kristin Lavransdatter (Audiovisual PN 1997.2 .K75 2004)
- Nabila (Audiovisual DL 639 .N33 2003)
- Six Degrees Could Change the World (Audiovisual QC 861.3 .S59 2009)
- Smilla's Sense of snow (Audiovisual PN 1997 .S762 2000)
- The Linguists (Audiovisual P 40.5 .E53 L56 2009)
Web Sites of Interest
- Scandinativan Crime Fiction - Compiled by Gustavus librarian Barbara Fister, this site has numerous suggestions for Scandinavian crime fiction. The site can be browsed by author or country.
- Arctic Portal - This site contains a plethora of information about the Arctic, including an interactive data map and current weather conditions.
- Arctic Theme Page: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - This website contains data about the Arctic and numerous photographs.
- Scott Polar Research Institute (SPRI) - SPRI's website provides a polar and glaciological bibliographic database (SPRILIB) with Arctic records, among other resources.
- University of the Arctic - The University of the Arctic is not one university, but instead is a collaborative network of universities that are committed to education and research in the North.
- Arctic Center - This website is for Arctic Centre at the University of Lapland, and it provides information about Arctic science, history, and culture.
- Arctic Institute of North America (AINA) - "The AINA's mandate is to advance the study of the North American and circumpolar Arctic through the natural and social sciences, the arts and humanities and to acquire, preserve and disseminate information on physical, environmental and social conditions in the North."
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Office of Polar Programs
- National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC)
- Arctic Council Indigenous Peoples Secretariat (IPS) - This site contains information about The Arctic Council Indigenous Peoples� Secretaria, and links to more information about the Arctic Council.
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History: Arctic Studies Center (ASC)
Photo Credits (L to R)
Moscow - http://www.flickr.com/photos/pnp/1573978136/
Arctic Ice - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenyai/54095154/in/photostream/
Saami Couple - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tylerkellen/4800782163/
This URL: http://gustavus.edu/academics/library/libdata_pos/page.phtml?page_id=343