Windows Vista is an operating system made by Microsoft Corporation. It was first released publicly in January, 2007 and is the successor to Windows XP. Wikipedia has a Windows Vista article which contains additional general information about the operating system.
Connecting to the network
Technology Services requires Windows machines connected to the Gustavus network to meet the following basic requirements:
- Your computer must have the most recent Windows updates.
- Your computer must have Symantec_Endpoint_Protection installed and have updated virus definitions.
Cannot log into computer after running Windows Updates
- Boot into safe mode.
- Click Start and type regedit into the search prompt and hit enter.
- Examine the keys under
- Find the key for the user id SID.
- There is a key that has a ".bak" appended to it and a key that is identical to that, but without the .bak.
- Rename the key without the .bak by adding a 1 to the end of it.
- Remove the ".bak" from key that had the .bak extension, and change the value property for the sid to 0.