Technology after Gustavus
Congratulations from Technology Services! Graduation is on the horizon and soon you will be moving on to new adventures – graduate school, a recently landed job, traveling, or just taking some time off to see where life takes you. It is time to think about Technology after Gustavus. If you have been using your e-mail account or Home Directory to save pictures, messages from friends, important papers from classes, then it is time to think about moving your e-mails and data to a new location. You will have one year (after graduation) of access to your account to check your Gustavus e-mail and your Home Directory. That first year out of college goes by fast!
Good luck to you all!
Before you leave campus
- Please visit the GTS Tools Page and modify/enter your alternate e-mail address (in the Profile section under Contact Info). This will help you reset your Gustavus password if you forget it.
Your e-mail account and home directory will remain active for one year after graduation. 2013 Graduates will have active e-mail accounts until the summer of 2014.
- If you decide to switch to a new e-mail provider after graduation, make sure you forward your Gustavus e-mail to your new e-mail address and let people know your new address. People will still be able to send you e-mail at your Gustavus address forever, when you have your e-mail forwarded. If you haven't set up a forward, after one year, when people e-mail your Gustavus account, it will be returned to them as undeliverable. To best avoid complications regarding your Gustavus e-mail, please forward your Gustavus e-mail at your earliest convenience.
- If you decide to keep using your Gustavus e-mail after graduation, please make sure you keep the account under quota and in good order (delete unnecessary messages, empty your trash regularly, save pictures to your computer, etc). You can forward your Gustavus e-mail to another account at any time, by visiting the GTS Tools pages. Many of the Internet e-mail providers such as Yahoo and Google offer e-mail accounts with plenty of storage.
After that year, you will need to decide if you want to continue using the Gustavus e-mail account or to forward your Gustavus e-mail to a different address. Recent graduates (2005 and later) have been offered a program that extends the use of their e-mail accounts for an annual fee. For $25 per year, accounts will remain fully active. Please see Alumni E-mail Options for details.
- Make sure to include your website. If you have a personal website you would like to keep, it is located in the www-docs folder.
- All lab computers have DVD-writers and USB ports. If you use a USB flash drive to store your files, lab computers have USB ports on the fronts and/or backs of the machines.
- Alumni (users whose accounts have passed the one year past graduation grace period) can download a zipped copy of their home directory by visiting the GTS Tools Page.
Install a free anti-virus product such as Microsoft Security Essentials or purchase another anti-virus product. You have many choices, but a few of the big name products are McAfee, Symantec, and Norton.
- Uninstall the Gustavus Symantec anti-virus or any other antivirus software that may be on your computer.
- Install the new anti-virus product you purchased/downloaded.
- Be sure to set up the new virus software to run Live Updates automatically. This ensures that your program will always be protected against the latest viruses.
If you are using a Windows-based computer, make sure you have your computer downloading and installing Windows Updates automatically. This will also help prevent viruses from exploiting your computer. This is something your computer should be doing automatically already.
Gustavus Students and Faculty can buy Adobe Software at a reduced cost for their personal computers.
Please visit: logisoft
If you haven't purchased the Microsoft Office Suite, you can still buy it for academic pricing while you are still registered as a student. You can buy this at many retail stores, or you can buy it online at places such as Amazon.com.
Purchasing a new computer
Gustavus does not sell computers to students, but does maintain a relationship with Apple, Inc., Lenovo and HP allowing students to purchase machines at an educational discount direct from the vendor.
- Please visit the Apple Store for Education Website or call 1-800-My-APPLE.
- Please visit the Lenovo Website or call 1-877-222-6426.
- Please visit the HP Academy Registration Website or call 1-888-999-4747.
Note: Almost all vendors have educational discounts for students. All you have to do is ask.
If you have any questions, please contact the Technology Helpline (507-933-6111).
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions frequently asked by graduating seniors. If you have any other questions, please call the Technology Helpline (507-933-6111) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be happy to assist!
After I graduate, how long do I have access to my Gustavus account?
Your account will be active for one year after you graduate. You will be notified at least a month in advance of when your e-mail will be disabled. At that point, it is recommended that, if you haven't already done so, forward your Gustavus e-mail address to a different e-mail address.
2005 and later graduates have been offered a pilot program for extending the use of their Gustavus e-mail account. Please see Alumni Email Account Options.
What happens to my e-mail and files that are still on my Gustavus account after that one year?
You will no longer have access to those e-mails and files. They will be deleted. We encourage you to save important e-mails and files before the year is up. This includes your personal Gustavus web page.
Alumni (users whose accounts have passed the one year past graduation grace period) can download a zipped copy (.zip file) of their home directory and e-mail inbox by visiting the GTS Tools Page.
Gustavus Google Drive and Gustavus Google Calendar
After graduating, as long as you know your Gustavus username and e-mail password, you will have access to your Gustavus Google Drive and Gustavus Google Calendar accounts. You will have access to these services for a year after graduation.
Is there any way that access to my e-mail/files can be extended?
Yes, since 2005, graduates have been offered a pilot program which allows them to extend the use of their Gustavus e-mail account. Please see Alumni Email Account Options.
Can I view my transcript online after I graduate?
No. You will need to contact the Registrar directly for a copy of your official transcript. Please visit this link for more information on how to obtain your transcript. https://gustavus.edu/registrar/transcripts.php
I have a new e-mail account; can I set up my Gustavus e-mail to be sent to this new address?
Yes. This is called forwarding your e-mail. If you visit the GTS Tools Page, you will find a link called Forward your e-mail. In the field that is provided on this page, please type in the new e-mail address that you would like the Gustavus e-mail to be forwarded to. Please read the warning on this page. If the new e-mail account does not work properly, the forwarded Gustavus e-mail will be lost. You can only setup forwards as long as your account is active, and we will continue to forward your e-mail, indefinitely.
I have a Gmail account. How can I move all of my current Gustavus messages to my Gmail account?
- Log on to your Gmail account
- Click Settings
- Click Accounts and Import
- Click Import Mail
- Enter your Gustavus e-mail address
- Enter your Gustavus e-mail password
- Enter your Gustavus username under the POP username
- Enter pop.gac.edu and edit the POP port to be 995 and check Use SSL.
- Over the course of a few days, it will import your Gustavus e-mail into your Gmail inbox. This may or may not import all of your folders. You may need to move all messages to your inbox. This import will not keep your folder structure. If you would like it to keep it your folder structure, you should use a program such as Apple Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Please login to your Gustavus account, verify all of the messages are gone from your Gustavus account.
- This will NOT import messages from the Gustavus server that are over 10MB. You must save those attachments on your computer's hard drive.
- Once the import is complete, you should forward your Gustavus e-mail and turn off the importing of mail. (GMail--> Settings --> Accounts and Import)
- Please note that this process may take a couple of days depending the amount of mail you have in your Gustavus account.
Does my quota still apply after graduation?
Yes, quotas still apply after graduation. If you go over your quota, you will receive e-mails notifying you. If you find yourself unable to delete messages, move e-mail messages between folders, etc, it is most likely because you have exceeded your quota.
If you have set up Gustavus Spam Filtering, please be sure to delete e-mail from your Filtered_by_GAC folder. Remember to empty your trash frequently.
Is it possible to access my Home Directory/MyData from off-campus?
Yes, you are able to access your files stored in your MyData folder from anywhere, granted that you have an Internet connection. Log on to the Gustavus Webmail service, https://webmail.gac.edu and click on File Manager. These links are found on the left side of the Webmail interface. You then will be able to browse your Home Directory/MyData files. You can download files by clicking the little picture of a disk.
Am I still able to use the Gustavus Search after graduation?
Yes, as long as your Gustavus account is fully active, you will have access to the online Gustavus Search.
Do I need to get my own virus protection when I graduate?
Yes. You must remove the Symantec Endpoint Protection that was provided to you under the site license agreement that Gustavus has with Symantec.
Please note: Beginning in the 2014-2015 academic year, Gustavus Technology Services will no longer offer Symantec Endpoint Protection for installation on personally-owned computers. Campus network users (Windows) will still be required to have a functional antivirus program installed on their computer. These programs include Norton, Kaspersky, etc. On Windows 8 machines, the standard Windows Defender program is recommended.
We recommend installing the free anti-virus solution provided by Microsoft:
Do I need to uninstall Gustavus Antivirus before installing the new virus protection?
Yes, you will need to uninstall the Gustavus Antivirus/Symantec Client Security before installing your new virus protection. Installing a new virus protection program while having another one installed can be very risky and is not advised. It can cause significant problems with your operating system.
How do I uninstall the Gustavus AntiVirus Software?
- Go to the Start Button→Control Panel→Add/Remove Programs
- Click on each of these items (LiveReg, Norton Antivirus/Symantec Antivirus, Live Update, Symantec Endpoint Protection) and click Remove.
Note: It is recommended that you uninstall and install virus protection while you are not connected to the Internet.
Where do I go to find Spyware protection?
There are some programs that you can purchase in retail stores like Best Buy, however, many companies have free versions that are easily accessible on the Internet. Here are a few programs that we use on a regular basis: Malwarebytes, AdAware Personal, Spybot - Search and Destroy, and Spy Sweeper. You can find these programs by typing their names into a search engine such as Google. Make sure that you keep these programs updated. You will need to do it manually. The paid versions of these programs will do the updating for you.
I am in need of serious computer help. Where should I go?
Because there are many businesses that provide support in case of serious computer problems, checking out the Yellow Pages or the local newspaper is a good place to start. It is also recommended to ask people in the area for a recommendation.
However, you should always use caution and good judgment when taking your computer to be repaired. It is recommended that you back up your data before having any service done to your computer, and remove any confidential data/sensitive data (taxes, personal pictures, passwords, etc.) from your hard drive before having your computer serviced.