Student organization websites
Many student organizations at Gustavus choose to maintain a website on the gustavus.edu domain.
If you would like to have access to create or edit your organization's website, your advisor must send an e-mail to email@example.com stating that you have permission to edit the website. After this e-mail has been received, Web Services will provide you with the access you need to create and edit your organization's website.
Linking to your website
Gustavus maintains a public list of student organizations who have completed the recognition process each year. Your organization's name in the list will automatically link to your website as long as you specified one in the recognition process. You can also add this information later by editing your organization.
Keep in mind you're free to host your organization's website on a 3rd party host (such as Google Sites), but if you wish to create a new website to be hosted on the gustavus.edu domain (http://gustavus.edu/orgs/yourorganization), you must contact Web Services to find out what your exact URL will be.
Editing your website
While you may use any software you are comfortable with to maintain your organization's website (e.g. Adobe Dreamweaver, TextMate, Emacs, etc.), we only support Adobe Contribute at this time. If you choose to not use Contribute, you will need to use a program that is capable of connecting to our server using the Secure FTP (SFTP) protocol (e.g. WinSCP or FileZilla).
These are the details you will need to connect to your organization's website:
|Connection type||Secure FTP (SFTP)|
|Username||Your Gustavus username|
|Password||Your Gustavus password|
To set up Contribute to maintain your organization's website, please follow these steps:
- Open Contribute.
- In the menu bar, select Edit > My Connections.
- Click on the button labeled "Create..."
- A new window will pop up. Click "Next >"
- Under "What do you want to connect to?" make sure that "Website" is selected. In the box that asks "What is the web address (URL) of your website?" type in the URL to your organization's website. For your reference, this should resemble http://orgs.gustavus.edu/yourorganization/
- Click "Next >"
- Under "How do you connect to your web server?" select "Secure FTP (STFP)".
- Under "What is the name of your SFTP server?" type ftp.gac.edu
- Type your Gustavus username and password into the other two boxes and click "Next >"
- Under "On the SFTP server, what folder contains your website?" enter "/cis/www" followed by the directory your organization's website is in. For instance, if your organization's website was located at http://orgs.gustavus.edu/yourorganization/ then you should enter "/cis/www/orgs/yourorganization/".
- Click "Next >". Enter your name and email in the corresponding text boxes.
- Click "Next >". You should now see a summary window with the information you previously filled out. Click "Done" to finish.