Software Update is most often referred to as the process of which computers running Apple's Mac OS X are updated.
How to run Software Update
- Find the black (or possibly blue) Apple logo icon in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. Click on it once to show the menu.
- Click once where it says Software Update.
- It will look for updates for you to install.
- Click the install button in the lower right-hand corner of the menu.
- You may be prompted to type in your local machine password to initiate the install.
- Please restart the computer right away if it prompts you to restart.
- Repeat process until there are no more updates to install.
How to automate downloading Software Updates
- Find the blue apple icon in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. Click on it once to show the menu.
- Click once where it says System Preferences.
- Click once where it says Software Update or App Store.
- Check the box that says Check for updates: Weekly
- Check the box underneath that says Download important updates in the background.
- Close the window.
Please contact the Technology Helpline at 507-933-6111, stop by the Technology Services department in Olin Hall or complete our contact form.