A password is a key one uses to access secure resources like e-mail, files stored on the network, or voice mail. At Gustavus, users have different passwords for various systems. Passwords should be changed often and not shared with anyone.
"Treat your password like your toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a new one every six months."
- -Clifford Stoll
- 1 Types
- 2 Creating Strong Passwords
- 3 Changing Passwords
- 4 Voicemail
- 5 See also
Gustavus User Account
E-mail, Lab access, Home Directory, Google Calendar and Docs, Office365 and Computer Logins are all controlled by this password. The same password allows you to check your e-mail, access your home directory, log into lab machines on campus, log into your Gustavus Google_Calendar account and log into your Gustavus issued computer (faculty and staff). This password is called your Gustavus User Account password. This password expires every 12 months, which means every year you will be asked to change this password.
This password allows students to check their grades, register for classes and check their progress towards graduation. Additionally, it allows faculty and staff to check on advisees and submit grades. This password is not the same as your Gustavus User Account. This password will not expire.
This password gives users access to their voice mailbox.
Creating Strong Passwords
Make sure your Gustavus User Account password is unique, and not used at other sites.
The longer the password, the stronger the password. Your Gustavus password must be at least 8 characters in length. However if you make your password 20 characters or more you do not need to follow any of the other criteria or rules for passwords. Keep in mind that this is only for password that are 20 characters or more.
Mixed Case, Digits and Punctuation
Add capital letters, not just at the beginning of your password. Add numbers or punctuation characters to your password.
Easy to Remember
Retrieving or resetting lost passwords can take time and be troublesome, so it is important to make your password something you will remember. If you have an alternate email on file, you can use the self reset option.
Make sure you are the only one who knows your password.
Still having trouble?
- Think of a phrase that is easy for you to remember - "The wind blows hard at Gustavus"
- Use the first letters of each word in the phrase - "TwbhaG"
- Change the a to @ and add some numbers or punctuation - "Twbh@G!99"
Gustavus User Account
You can change your Gustavus User Account password by visiting the Gustavus User Settings (GUS) page, and clicking Change password under the Password section on the left.
If you have forgotten your Gustavus password:
- stop by the Technology Helpline, with proof of identity and have your password reset.
- Use the self reset tool. If you have an alternate email on file, you can have a password reset request sent to that address.
- To set or check your alternate email information, please visit the Gustavus User Settings (GUS) page, and click on the Contact information link under Profile.
- If you have an alternate email address set, you can click on the Reset password link under Password. This will send a reset password request to your alternate account. By following the directions you receive you will be able to reset your Gustavus User Account password.
Affected devices and programs
- Smartphones such as an iPhone will need settings adjusted, in your e-mail settings (both incoming and outgoing) and/or Gustavus Google Calendar and Contact settings.
- Tablets such as an iPad in your will need settings adjusted, in your e-mail settings (both incoming and outgoing) and/or Gustavus Google Calendar and Contact settings.
- E-mail clients such as Apple Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird will need settings adjusted, in both incoming and outgoing mail-server settings.
- Calendar programs such as Calendar for OSX configured with Gustavus Google Calendar.
- Faculty and staff will need to log into their office computers with their new password.
To change your password visit the WebAdvisor site and click on the Change Password link.
If you have forgotten your WebAdvisor password, please visit the WebAdvisor site and click I forgot my password and need to reset it. Follow the prompts and an e-mail will be sent to your Gustavus e-mail account with a temporary password. You will need to select a permanent password when you log in with the temporary one.
Follow the prompts on the voicemail page for more information.