Outlook Mail Merge
In order to use the mail merge feature, a member of the Gustavus Technology Services team will need to help you properly configure Microsoft Outlook. Please contact GTS at x6111 or firstname.lastname@example.org in order to schedule an appointment.
To Send a Mail Merge With Outlook 2003
Change the default mail client
- There should be a folder on your desktop called "Mail Merge." Open it and double click on "Internet Options." (If there is no folder on your desktop, you can get to Internet Options through the control panel.)
- In the "Internet Options" window, select the "Programs" tab.
- In the field next to "E-mail" select "Microsoft Office Outlook" from the drop down menu.
- Click "Apply" at the bottom of the window.
Send your merged document
- In order to send your document from Microsoft Word, you will need to open Microsoft Outlook and have it running.
- With Outlook open, send your merged document to e-mail. This will place the appropriate number of messages in your Outbox in Microsoft Outlook. Note: Your e-mail messages have NOT been sent yet.
- In Microsoft Outlook, click the "Send/Receive" button near the top of the screen.
Change the default mail client back to its original setting
- Return to the "Internet Options" window.
- Again under the "Programs" tab, select your e-mail client from the drop down menu next to "E-mail." (This is typically Mozilla Thunderbird.)
- Click the "Apply" button.
- In Microsoft Word choose the Mailings tab
- Pick the Start Mail Merge drop-down menu and select Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard
- Follow the step by step directions that appear in the right-hand task pane.