Microsoft Windows Picture Viewing Vulnerability
In January 2006, the Technology Service Department sent an email asking everyone to run a patch to disable a vulnerability in the Windows operating system. This patch disabled the vulnerability, but also removed some of the picture viewing functionality of Windows XP (view as slide show and thumbnails).
Here is the steps to restore the ability to view your pictures as thumbnails in Windows XP.
- From the Start Menu select Run
- In the run dialog box type cmd
- Click OK
- In the command window (a black screen) type regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
- Click the enter key
- Click OK on the confirmation dialog box
- Type exit in the command window.
Your ability to view pictures should be restored.